Family of Thieves

Chapter 14

You realise that just about now, inside my body, I feel very, very uneasy. The sharp daggers in his eyes stare into my soul, swinging his pupils towards Cicero and I.

Cicero does the same, but a confused expression is planted onto his face. Just what in Sithis is Kaito doing?

"The Dragonborn is the elf's lover?" Cicero grins, but it disappears once Kaito glares. Never have I seen him this angry.

"Just what's wrong wi-"

I shriek once Kaito throws me over his shoulder. For a puny lard like him, he is pretty strong. He has a tight grip onto my back, no matter how hard I kick, punch his back, or pull his hair. He throws me against the word wall, surprisingly not waking anybody up.

"Just what's wrong with you!" I yell out, finishing my sentence. He holds me down once I fall on my ass, giving no remorse for my small frame.

"We need to talk," he mutters, growling unstoppably. I think I like emotionless Kaito better.

I snarl back, and he stares. "That fool is dangerous. I want you to stay away from him."

"He has more manners than you!" I shriek, and he slaps his hand over my mouth. He quickly takes it off once I lick his palm. Always works.

"The Night Mother declares we stick together."

"It was just a misunderstanding. Obviously one of us is chosen as-"

"She speaks to both of us. She ordered me to protect you from the jester. Harsh memories will be stuck in your mind forever."

I know she spoke to Kaito and myself. I try to push him off me, but oh dear, he is strong. Even if he seems like a petty farmer or a helpless nobleman, he does not have the look of a warrior. He even has that cliché line at the end of his sentence.

"You talk such nonsense. Get off me before I gouge out your eyes!" I threaten harshly, reaching for my dagger, but he pushes down my wrist.

I'm completely helpless. "Standing up, you have the upper hand. Now that we're on the ground, I'm stronger. Don't try to fight me," he whispers closely to my face. His hair smells nice.

After moments of fidgeting, this asshole still won't get off. He tightens his python grip on my wrist, and I'm sure the blood flow of my hand stopped.

I growl, and his eyes are no longer threatening.

"Don't go near Cicero," he says, loosening his grip. I kick him off, sending Kaito to fall onto his back. Furiously standing up, I glare.

"You can't use the Night Mother as an excuse to tell me what to do," I hiss angrily. "Don't just go around declaring some skeever shit to me, especially over anyone in this family! Arrogant pest." I pop the 'p' and storm off.

He stays on the ground as I leave. Good.

The next day, I wake up exhausted. I hate ruins. They leave me sore and tired.

Three knocks on the door interrupt my train of thought. Thinking it's Kaito, I plop my head onto the pillow, ignoring all the knocking at my door.

"Sister, are you in there?"

It's just Gabriella. "Come in." She opens the door, and I wave.

Out of boredom, I lay on my stomach and swing my feet in the air.

"You're going to Riften, correct?" she says, and I nod. "Well, may I come with you?"

"Yeah, why?"