012 ─── monsters .

lethal
012 ─── monsters .

" the chase has just begun "

rowan's view

𝔐y feet were killing me. I had been walking all day, and the shoes I was given weren't that durable. They didn't seem to have insoles, and the miles I had traveled were wearing down on me. My chest was beginning to ache from the heaving breaths, the trek taking a toll on me. I wanted to get as far away from the nearest tribute as possible, and wait for the opportune moment to strike.

I thought I was coming into the Games prepared. I thought that I was ready to kill, if it meant getting back to my family, but replaying the Bloodbath in my mind made me sick. I couldn't even think about hurting anybody like that. I couldn't think about being a monster. But I was going to have to be.

The weight of the backpack dragged down my shoulders as I kept hiking further and further, no hesitation. A few miles back, I had killed and cooked a squirrel, the meat being the only thing keeping me going. The only thing that was keeping me relaxed was the fact that I had the knife belt fastened around my waist, the metal glinting in the sunlight.

I hadn't run into any tributes since the night before, which was a blessing. I heard one cannon in the morning, which marked thirteen dead, eleven left. I wasn't sure who it was who died, but there was little doubt in my mind that the Careers were responsible. They were ruthless, leaving me to worry about the fate of people like Rue. I was even a little worried about Peeta, because even though he had betrayed me, I couldn't forget that he was from District 12.

I tried my best to look straight ahead and focus on the terrain ahead of me. I walked across a rocky ledge, trying my best to keep my balance. Against my better nature, I looked to the left, my breath leaving me as I gazed upon the view of the entire Arena from the cliff I was on. Masses of forest, and, in the center, a field with a glinting metal structure: the Cornucopia. I was further away than I thought, perhaps around the edge of the Arena, seeing as mountains were surrounding the Arena in a circle.

Later that night, it was revealed during the Fallen that the person who died earlier during the day was the girl from District 4.

𝔛

I had been hiking for another full day. It was about midday when I felt hunger and thirst rising in my chest, the meat stick I had eaten in the morning just not doing it anymore. Even after hiking for a full day and a half, I still hadn't run into any tributes, which surprised me.

I might have been surprised by the blood spilled at the Bloodbath, but I still knew the Games. I knew that, in order to survive, I didn't need to avoid tributes. I needed to avoid the Gamemakers. Staying off their radar was the best thing I could do for myself. I knew who the real enemy was.