007 ─── what we made .

lethal
007 ─── what we made .

" aren't you proud, father? "

rowan's view

"𝔗ommorow they will bring you in one by one and evaluate you. It's time to show them everything, not that you haven't already," Haymitch glared at me, making me roll my eyes in irritation.

Ever since the obstacle course, Haymitch had been relentlessly berating me about it, unable to let it go. I was starting to think that it wasn't possible for him to say anything to me without throwing me shade.

"I didn't even show a fraction of what I can do," I said arrogantly, stabbing my food with a fork, the metal scraping against the delicate china. Arrogance is dangerous, and I seemed to have no shortage of it these days.

Haymitch rolled his eyes at me before continuing on as if I hadn't even spoken. "The Gamemakers will be watching, so show off your skills," Haymitch said, glancing at me before turning to Peeta, "Peeta, make sure to show your strength."

Peeta nodded, and Haymitch continued. "They'll start with District 1, so you two will go last." Haymitch was silent for a moment, seeming to struggle with his words before finally speaking. "I don't know how else to put this... make sure they remember you."

𝔛

They stashed us in a large waiting room, with monotone grey walls and smooth wooden stools. I stared at those grey walls for what seemed like hours, unmoving, except for breathing in and out, and bouncing my leg up and down when I got bored.

Peeta and I sat side by side, at least three yards away from any other tributes. Neither of us had breathed a word to each other, let alone anymore else. There was nothing but silence between us as we sat, waiting, watching as tribute after tribute was called in. Soon Thresh was called in, and it was just us.

"Rowan Everdeen." The modified voice that called out every other name finally called mine, and my head snapped to the gate where 22 other tributes had passed through today.

I stood up, forcing my hands into fists at my sides to stop them from shaking. Without glancing back at Peeta, who I knew was watching me, I walked forwards, nervousness suddenly hitting me like a wave.

"Rowan." I looked back when Peeta spoke my name, my eyes landing on his. "Good luck."

All I managed to do was nod numbly before turning back around and continuing down the hallway, my shoes clicking on the floor. I walked past the metal threshold, my gaze shooting around the training centre I had spent the last four days in. The Gamemakers were sitting by the podium; some watched me walk in, but most were disinterested after watching eleven districts, and twenty-two tributes, battle for their attention.