Chapter One

The sun was just beginning to rise in the small town of Erskine as a young man eagerly packing everything he owned. He stopped only momentarily to view the sun from his window, thinking about how he would miss these quiet mornings when the world still slept. He shrugged off the thought and turned back to his work. As finished packing, he turned to observe what had been his home for all his life thus far, for one last time.

It was a small room with a straw mattress lying on the floor against the back wall. It had one window that had become worn with age and the constant use of the young man sneaking in and out during the night. There was just one small cabinet, and it was missing its doors. He smiled at the simplicity that had been his life, and he did not mind the fact that in eighteen years he had only been able to accumulate enough material possessions to fill a small pack.

As he made his way down the stairs leading into the main common room of the inn the inn keeper shouted at him.

"Oye, Hayden." The older lady shouted. She had a tray full off food in one arm and mugs in the other. "Could you go down to the butchers and get three more slabs of lamb? I told Rob we were going to run out but you know my husband" She continued on as she began passing out food.

"I can't today ma'am, I am leaving." Hayden said, not sure how to break the news to her. Hayden was an orphan, had been his entire life. No one talked about how he gotten to Erskine or about his parents. Marge and her husband Rob had taken him in when he was still a baby.

They had done the best they could but they never treated him like a son. They loved him and treated him fairly and with kindness but never as a true born son.

"That's great dear and remember, three slabs. Don't let him talk you into the old ones in his shop either, I want the fresh ones in the back." She continued talking as she moved around the already filled up tables. Not even stopping to see that Hayden had everything packed.

"Marge, I am going to Celestial City to get a dragon egg." Hayden said.

"A dragon egg? Where do you plan on getting one of those?" Marge placed a tray of food down in front of one of her usual customers.

"From Celestial City, where I am going." Hayden told her while he tried to keep up with her.

"Celestial City? Why are you going there?" She asked.

Hayden stepped in front of her and blocked her way so that she would have to focus on him. "Marge, I am going to Celestial City. Today, right now. I am going to get a dragon egg and become a dragon rider." He gently placed his hands on her shoulders to keep her from stepping around him.

"Hmm." She remained silent for a few moments and looked around the room as if waiting on someone to stand up and say something.

"If you are so hung up on it then go." She said. "And when you get there make sure that you get three slabs of lamb from the back." She added as she dipped underneath his arm and continued taking care of her customers.

Hayden smiled and watched her dance around the room serving food. She loved working at the inn, it was all that she had ever wanted to do.

"Good bye." Hayden said to himself, not loud enough that Marge could here. He turned and made his way out of the inn and into the street.

The sun had risen up and with it the town came alive. Women hung out of window beating on rugs and sheets while men walked through the streets on their way to their various jobs. Children ran around the street playing a game of chase as they weaved in an out of the crowd.

A part of Hayden still wished that he was still a young child able to run and play without the worries of the world weighing down on him.

"Hayden." A voice thundered from behind him. He had only made it a few steps away from the inn when Rob came out the door.