Chapter Twenty Two, part A

Hayden was wearing is full rider armor as he sat on Draek's back. The scales on his armor matched perfectly with Draek's, considering they had been his scales at one point. They had given the first year riders a better saddle than the old worn out ones they had been using.

Although there were still rumors of what Hayden and Draek had done during the burning of the Orchard of Souls, this was the first official time that all the citizens were going to get a chance to see the five new riders in action. Their dragons had always been seen at a distance up until now, and although everyone knew that the dragons could fly, it was about to be confirmed that they could carry their riders as well.

Cass and Shane were sitting on either side of Hayden right before the opening ceremonies were about to start, just like they were when they flew, as Sebastian and Giles both showed up.

Hayden hadn't seen either of them since the Festival of Games had started, and he was pleased with that. Their dragons stood as far away from Hayden and his friends as the judges would allow, because they wanted all the first years together. Draek, Shaylin, and even Rilora were relaxed, ruffling their wings and letting their tails and heads sway from side to side.

Kurok and Sullivan stood like statues with no movement whatsoever, not even their eyes. It seemed unnatural for a dragon to be that still and lifeless. Draek heard the thoughts in Hayden's head and answered them before they ever formed.

They are afraid, Draek said sadly.

Afraid of what, us? Hayden asked.

Afraid of their riders. They have been doing some discipline training on their own with their dragons. They fear them and obey their every command. Draek growled and it shook Hayden as he sat on his back.

Hayden understood his anger, since part of being a dragon and rider was being free. There would be no riders without dragons. They were supposed to work together as partners, not subjecting the other to their own will.

"Can't you control that beast of yours?" Sebastian said. Giles nodded in approval as they both sat with their back straight and their noses pointed up. "Look at Kurok and Sullivan. This is how true dragons are supposed to act." Sebastian sat up a little straighter in his saddle and Sullivan got even more rigid.

He is so proud of himself, it makes me sick. Hayden was really starting to hate them.

The worst part of it is his mount is proud of what he is doing also. He sees nothing wrong with being used like that.

Mount? Hayden asked He had not heard Draek use that term.

That's not a dragon, he is more of a horse than a dragon right now. I can prove it to you. Watch. Before Hayden could get ready, Draek moved in and pushed his shoulder into Sullivan.

Sullivan was a good size dragon for his age, right around average. Draek however, was big. Bigger than any of the other dragons that had hatched together. His shoulders stood three to four feet taller than Sullivan and that size difference was apparent in every aspect between them, so when Sullivan got pushed by the bigger dragon, he had no choice but to fall over on his side, slamming Sebastian to the ground. Hayden was ready for the fallen dragon to jump up and fight Draek. Being ready meant he was undoing his saddle and looking for a safe place to jump off.

Draek just stood over the smaller dragon for a few seconds, and then he backed off so that the silver could stand up. Hayden heard Sebastian grumble and try to complain, but he was crushed by his dragon and was struggling to move. Sullivan looked up from the ground, but made no motion to attack. Sebastian had to order the dragon to get up before he would move.