Chapter Twenty Three, part A

The sun was just starting to rise as they stood in between the two stands; a few hundred bodies all huddled together so they could hear what the speaker was saying. The air above them was full of steam from all of them breathing, it reminded Hayden of a pile of hot coals when you pour water over it.

The Crucible was about to start; it started for the competitors a few hours earlier than it did for the people watching it. The stands were all but empty, a few people wanted to watch every part of the Festival of Games so they had gotten up early just to watch them stand around and say things that they could not hope to hear.

Hayden and Shane were near the center of the group but there was no need for them to be there; the judge who was speaking was only addressing the ground troops, not the riders.

"This is a mock battle so take it seriously as if it was a real one. The weapons that you will be given have been blunted; they won't cut open skin easily but that is a possibility. They can still cause damage so if you notice someone fall to the ground they are considered dead, do not try to hit them again. If it is you that falls to the ground do not get back up and keep fighting, just stay where you are until a judge can make it to you to escort you out of the arena." Hayden and Shane were talking about strategies, they were arguing about whether or not they should stay together or separate.

"We need to separate, that way we can take them on one on one and the first one who finishes with theirs can help the other." Shane was saying. Hayden knew that it was Rilora's idea. She had been forced to stay grounded during the Festival of Games and now she wanted a chance to shine on her own.

It was perfectly normal and understandable for her to feel that way; understandable yes; a good idea no.

"And what happens if they take me or you out, than they will do the same thing to us. It leaves too much up to chance. We need to stick together and once we see how they are fighting we need to figure out a plan to beat them." Hayden had thought about it last night with Draek and it seemed that it was the best plan they had.

They had no idea what tricks Giles and Sebastian would throw at them so it was their best bet to face them together and not separated.

"I guess you are right but...." Shane looked uncomfortable and Hayden knew what was coming before he asked.

"Don't worry, Draek and I won't get all the glory here." Shane smiled and faced where Rilora was resting in the clearing. They couldn't see where there their dragons were but Hayden knew that Shane and Rilora were talking.

"Riders, did you hear me?" The judge asked. Hayden and Shane quickly faced him and tried to pretend like they had been listening. The judge did not believe them and Sebastian snickered at them. "Is something funny young rider? Can you tell them what I was saying?"

Sebastian wore the same face that Hayden and Shane had just had on as he tried to remember something he had not heard. The judge did not make him suffer long; he repeated what he had just said since he was sure that he now had their full attention.

"Riders are not allowed to intervene with the ground troops directly. No picking them up or landing to fight them. They have their own mission and you are not to alter that. Now ground troops you may head to the east entrance to be divided into your teams. Riders, you all stay here."

The crowd started to move in one big wave, the ones that wanted to fight the most pushed their way to the front. Friends tried to stay together, hopping that that would help them to get picked on the same team.

Once they had all moved on and were getting separated the judge started talking to them again.

"Now during the Crucible every pair of eyes will be on you four and your dragons. With that said you all will not come in during the beginning but wait till the fighting is about half way done. That way the ground troops feel like they are just as important as you all are.