Chapter Five

I'm so sorry for the long wait! I've had so much writers block here lately... Dx

Anyway, this takes place after the Sneak Peak.

Enjoy!~

-------------------------

Chapter Five of Recovery:

Rex watched as Hazel left in such a hurry, her long black hair flowing behind her in the wind, out the cafe doors and down the street. She appeared so...distraught. He wanted to run after her, he really did, but then thought he better not. He wasn't even sure of what she was doing or where she was going. Something was upsetting her though, that was for sure...

He took a glance in the area of the cafe Hazel had supposedly seen "something" at. But, he could only see the window and the way the morning sun glared through the glass strongly. Nothing of a mystery lingered there.

"I hope she's alright..." Rex muttered, scratching the back of his head in confusion. She had said something about the Slenderman. And someone who had told her that they were from her past. But what did any of that mean...?

"Maybe...I should..." He took another glance out the cafe window, before standing up and leaving his and Hazel's money for the hot chocolate, as well as a three dollar tip, on the table top, exiting the place as well. He instantly felt the comfort of the cafe, along with the warm scent of coffee and the lingering toasty feeling, leave him as he stepped out in the cool air. He immediately recognized some sort of tension line the atmosphere, though he couldn't quite place why...

Without another moment to spare, he took his leave down the contrastingly bright street, hands in his jean's pockets.

----------

Hazel did a double take, her mouth wide as she stared into those wide, dark eyes. The dark eyes from the man before. Jeff.

"Hello, sweetheart. What are you doing home so...early?~" He sneered in a sickeningly sweet voice, turning his head to let his round eyes glare at Patricia. Patricia tried to struggle a bit, but the madman only pinned her tighter to the wall. Hazel noticed, with a gasp, Jeff had a knife at her foster mom's throat. A small trickle of blood streamed down from where the blade had nicked her delicate skin. She let out a rough scream beneath Jeff's hand, though her eyes continued to train themselves on Hazel.

Hazel couldn't move. She couldn't do anything. She wanted to, she wanted to so badly. She wanted to break out of that trance the madman named "Jeff" had placed her in, but she couldn't break free.

I thought...he was here to help me...

Immediately, with another cry, the blade sunk a bit deeper into Patricia's neck. More blood slipped down into her nightgown. At her pained cry, Hazel was able to break just a step out of the trance. Enough to let her dry throat speak.

"L-let her go!" She gritted her teeth, tears on the brink of spilling down her reddening cheeks.

At first, Jeff stayed silent, his body stiff and full of tension. Then, something changed. Jeff only moved his body a bit, shaking his shoulders in a random gesture. It was only until a small chuckle left his lips, when Hazel realized he was laughing.

"You know..." He smirked, letting his knife give Patricia's neck a deeper slice, before pulling it away and shaking the blood from it. He let her slide to the floor, stepping away from her weak form, and turned to face Hazel completely.

"You sure have a way at making me stop doing what I was originally. Completely taking me off guard like that in the forest...then now? Popping right in when I planned to kill this..." He glared down at Patricia with narrowed opaque eyes, "this woman you call 'mom'. She's a fake, you know. She doesn't love you." His eyes shot Hazel daggers, that scarred smile stretching wider across his pale face as he gave her a sly grin. Hazel clenched her fist, her own eyes narrowing in anger.