Chapter 3 (I know it's been a while...I'm sorry!)

(Sorry for not updating any sooner! I just wasn't getting any good ideas...but now I have it planned out! Enjoy! :3)

                 Hazel waited until her mother fell asleep to sneak out the next night. She knew her mother trusted her, and sneaking out wasn’t a good idea, but she had to see if what she saw was true. No, more than that. She really didn’t understand the whole ‘Marble Hornets’ situation, but there was one thing that had decided to play on her mind—what Tim has to do with the park. She knew he had said something about making a movie with his friends, so maybe that was him she’d seen that night chasing after that man with the video camera, but still, why? Was it just a part of their act? Something inside of her wasn’t settling on that idea, and that Tim just playing it off as an act wasn’t quite true.

                She slowly lowered herself down the steps, towards the front door. As she stepped on the bottom step, though, it creaked up under her foot, and she winced. She glanced towards her mother’s door. Slight ruffling came from the room, but other than that, no other noise could be heard. Instantly, she knew that her mother must’ve just turned in her sleep. Patricia was usually a light sleeper, so if she wasn’t out by now, then she must’ve gone back to sleep. Hazel breathed out in relief.

                She finished climbing down the steps, and then headed to the door. She took one last look at her mother’s bedroom, before silently unlocking and opening the front door. There, she slipped outside in the cold, night air. I’m sorry Patricia… She thought, as she looked up at the night sky.

                Stars glittered brightly above. From where Hazel was standing, they looked like little shining ants standing throughout the dark shadows. She smiled as memories of night skies flooded her mind. Here, outside on her front porch, prancing around as Patricia watched from afar with a light laugh, she was introduced to ‘wishes’. Patricia had said, “If you wish really hard on one of those night sky stars, it just might come true. Why don’t you try?” She did try. She wished her parents would come back, so she could meet them, at least once. But, as she was just five years old, she didn’t understand the basics of ‘death’. And with that, her wish never came true. Still, the stars shown on, like diamonds, and even if ‘wishes’ didn’t always come true, Hazel couldn’t help but smile at the sight. I wish nothing bad to be going on at that park…please. She said to herself, looking up at the night sky, before traveling down the street towards the park area.

                Darkness clouded the streets, except for the occasional street lamp that shown like a spotlight onto the concrete below. Alleys were like pathways to emptiness, and even some of the buildings leading the way to the park had dark shadows cast over them. Hazel shivered as a cold chill ran down her spine, and she was afraid it wasn’t just the chilly air that caused it. She glanced up again, looking at the night sky, and noticed that the stars seemed to be the only visible light—the moon had turned a full cycle, so it was now “new moon”. The usual bright circle was now only a rim in the sky, barely visible. And with that, no light was cast upon the small town. It took all Hazel had to not run back the way she came, back to her house, under her safe roof and bed, and then waking up the next morning laughing at how stupid she was for sneaking out at midnight. Who would do that—who would go traveling inside a vast, opaque forest at night? Especially a forest full of new dark secrets that interested Hazel to the core.

                And just before Hazel could take that chance to return to safety, the tree line of the park came into view and she was standing right before the entrance to the forest—the dark, dank forest that held what she was seeking out for. She had already presumed it was something dangerous. But, deep down inside, way deep down inside, she felt like it was somehow…her responsibility. She did see what happened the other evening. Plus, it felt like a pulling—a magnetic force pulling her here for some odd reason. It was a weird sensation that she had never felt before. And with that, she took her first step towards a night that would change her life forever.