Twenty Five

"Harry, I'll change, I'll be better!" Stephanie pleaded. She couldn't help but feel lesser than she was, her husbands affections had been stolen from her.

"Steph, it isn't about being better, we've tried everything. I've tried to make you happy, as you've tried with me. It's okay for us to grow apart." Harry's hand went to his forehead as he thought. "I know that what I've done is wrong, and I understand if you want to prosecute me for it, but please, take a step back and realize that our marriage is far past saving. You are unhappy, I am unhappy. There is only so much we can give before we are depleted."

Harry looked at Stephanie, he really looked at her, to see her face change from looks of despair, confusion, thoughtfulness, and finally understanding.

"I was just so hellbent on going back to 'us'. The Harry and Stephanie that were so in love that they couldn't even bear to be apart more than a few hours. The girl and boy that were each other's first kiss. I picture them so much that i didn't see that we aren't those kids anymore. I've let your job, and all this money, and then on top of it, moving here, change me."

Steph, for the first time, understood him, and even understood herself. The reasons why she had been so crazy, so mean and controlling. The reasons he stayed at work longer the past few years, been agitated and distant. They weren't right for each other anymore.

Her mind forced another thought, though.

"I just can't believe you decided that exploring a relationship with someone else before telling me all this, was the right thing to do." She shook her head at the thought.

"It wasn't at all, and I don't want to sound like an ass, but it just... happened. I didn't expect it... my feelings... my heart just made a choice on its own. And it hurts me that I betrayed you, Steph. Please believe me, especially now that you're being so calm about this. And after it started, and went even further along, I got more and more scared to tell you."

"Okay," she didn't know how to process it, but she knew she wanted his happiness above all else, "so, this thing with Beverley, it's been going on a while?" She wasn't sure if she wanted to know, but asked anyway.

"Do you want me to be honest?" Harry asked, eyeing her and lifting a brow.

"I don't know."

"Well, I don't want anymore secrets, and I don't want to lie to you anymore."

"Okay." she nodded, "Tell me."

"Over a month," he looked down, "I'm so sorry that I did this to you Stephanie. I never thought I'd end up a cheater, especially with you. I don't want it to take away the love I had for you, because in all honesty, it was epic. We were so good, but, somewhere in between now and then, it wasn't intense anymore. It wasn't the fire that kept us going anymore, and I think it's because we had so many expectations of each other. You want a big fancy life, and I want a simple, comfortable life. And there's nothing wrong with either of those wants, they just don't go together. I expected you to make yourself smaller, and you just aren't that kind of woman. But I'm not the man that goes and buys you purses, and houses, and cars for fun either."

Steph nodded her head, "So, Beverley is all of that for you?"

There wasn't a hint of disdain in her voice so Harry knew not to be offended and answered her question honestly.

"Beverley is a woman of small needs and simple wants. She is the type of woman who would be fine living in a trailer in the woods, or a shack in the desert. She doesn't care about houses, and status, or being right and on top about everything." Harry looked down and then back up at Stephanie's face, "I want you to know though, that there isn't anything wrong with you wanting more than that, I just can't give it to you, I don't want that lifestyle. But, I do want you to be happy with someone who does. I will give you anything you want during this separation, I will give you as much as you need to live the life you want, even if i have to start from scratch."

"I love you, Harry." A tear fell freely from Stephanie's cheek, as she internalized his words, and the meaning and truth held behind them.

"As I love you." Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her into his embrace.

"Just not like we used to love each other." Stephanie heard herself say.

"It's okay, Steph, I'll make this better somehow."

Stephanie knew that was the truth, or he never would've offered her everything he's worked so hard for.