Three

"Should I invite Stephanie and her husband for dinner tomorrow night?" Mom asked as she washed the few dishes that were in the sink.

"No. She probably wouldn't even want to come anyway, we freaked her out last week. Notice how we haven't heard from her since." I laughed, humorlessly.

"I already invited them via post office." She winked at me.

I rolled my eyes, "Then why did you ask me? And stop saying via, mom, it's weird. Just say you sent them a letter."

"Okay, I sent them a letter."

"Which is also weird because they live right across the street." I commented, pushing a loose strand of hair out my face.

"You're such an ass." My mom flicked my arm as she walked passed me into the living room.

"I learned from the best." I chided, rubbing where she assaulted me.

**

Stephanie was coming over with her husband tonight and I made sure to look my best or my mom would have had my head.

"Turn that God-awful music off." She barged into my room and headed straight toward my blaring stereo.

"Why? They aren't here yet." I turned it back up after she stomped out in her pant suit. I still didn't know why she insisted to dress up in our own house.

After a while, the doorbell rang and mom yelled for me to come down.

I saw Stephanie first, as she greeted my mother with the most sincerest of smiles. Then a tall man wearing all black, made his way fully inside and shut our front door behind him.

I instantly recognized him as the guy from the convenience store who caused my donuts and tampons to fall to the floor.

I walked all the way toward them and kindly smiled at Stephanie saying it was nice to see her.

"This is my husband, Harry." She gestured to him and smiled happily at his beautifully sculpted face.

His eyes caught mine for a second, lingering... and then looked to my mother.

"You have a lovely home,–" He looked at her to finish for him.

"Sherry."

"Sherry, and you?" His eyes found mine again and they flickered with confusion.

"Beverley, you probably don't remember but you rammed into me yesterday at the store and my donuts went everywhere." A figurative light went off in his head and he blinked, seeming to figure it out.

"Oh that was you? I thought I recognized you from somewhere." He nodded.

"What happened?" Stephanie piped in curiously.

"I was trying to find Tom's number on my phone when I was getting you the milk you asked for and I turned a corner and knocked into her," he then looked at me, "I'm sorry I didn't stop to help, I was very distracted yesterday."

"Obviously," I mumbled under my breath.

"Let's eat shall we?" Mom interceded.

Throughout dinner there was awkward conversation between the adults and I just sat there picking at my food. I was trying to drop a few pounds and this dinner was not helping.

Then my mom started talking about me.

"Bevy here, is looking for a new job to help me with her college payments." Lies. I didn't say anything though, she was bragging and I liked that Harry thought I was smart.

"Oh yea? I bet you're having trouble finding a part time job around here?" Stephanie asked.

"Yea kind of. I wish I would've started applying earlier."

"You can always come help around our house. I have plenty of things for you to clean and file for me. And I'm sure Harry could find things for you to do around his work." She grabbed his upper arm endearingly, "Didn't you say you needed an assistant, sweetheart?"

"I did. But I don't think–" he started to object, of course. Why would he want me to work for him.

"Perfect, how does that sound, Bev?" My mother looked at me with pleading eyes, practically begging me to say yes. I could almost guarantee that she'd gauge my eyes out if I refused.

"Umm, yea. I guess." I half heartedly smiled, thanking Stephanie for her thoughtfulness.

"Well, this was a very nice dinner. You're an amazing cook, Sherry." Harry and Stephanie began to stand up and so did we, and after saying our goodnights they left and my mom cleaned the kitchen while I headed for bed.

**