Steps

Steps

I was sitting in the middle of my bed as I stared outside the window when my phone vibrated. How many times has it vibrated since yesterday? Oh yeah. Countless. I looked at it and was surprised that it wasn't my bestfriend who's messaging me. But someone whom I don't really talk to that much. We're not even close and the only time I got a chance to talk to him was when he was with him.

Can we meet? I really want to talk to you. Just somewhere near you. Starbuck's maybe?

That's the message he sent me. I replied and stood up to prepare.

"Ma, alis po muna ako." I told my mom who was at their room.

"San ka pupunta? Papahatid ka ba?"

"Hindi na po. Uhm. Ako na lang magddrive. Malapit lang naman eh. Sa Starbucks lang."

"Sino kasama mo? Si Maqui ba?" she asked. I know that my mom knows what's going on with me but she remained quiet about it.

"Ah. Opo. Magkikita kami."

"Sige. Sabihin mo sumama na sayo dito. Dito na siya magdinner ha?"

"Try ko po." I replied and kissed her. "Alis na ko ma."

I arrived at the said café and I was greeted by the aroma of coffee being brewed. I searched around the place and saw him sitting on one of the couches on the corner of the store. He saw me and raised his hand to signal me to come over. I walked towards him and sat opposite him.

"Glad you came here. Sorry kung gusto pa kita kausapin ha?" he said apologetically.

"It's okay Kuya Frank."

"Uhm. Kasama mo ba mom mo? Or dad?"

"No. I drove here." I replied.

"Oh. Oo nga pala. Nagddrive ka na pala." he smiled.

"Uhm..."

It was an awkward silence between us. First time kasi naming mag-usap na kaming dalawa lang. It just feels strange.

"Before I start, do you want anything? Sige na. My treat."

"Uhm. Kahit ano na lang po." I answered. He nodded and stood up and walked towards the counter.

Bumalik siya a few minutes after carrying a tray with 2 venti cups of coffee and 2 sandwiches.

"I know you're not allowed to drink iced coffee so here. Tsaka bawal ka sa sweets kaya sandwich na lang. Baka patayin ako ng kapatid ko pag pinakain kita ng matamis." he said.

"Thank you po."

"Julie, wag ka na mag-'po' okay?" I nodded shyly and took a sip from my cup. "You can start asking questions now."

I paused for awhile and started thinking of what to ask first. Like, how was he? Is he going out with her like before? Is he happy? What is he doing? So many questions yet I don't know how to start.

"Julie?" he called me and I looked up at him. "He's in really bad shape." he started as if he read the questions in my mind.

"H--"

"He's always going home drunk. I don't know what to do with him anymore. He's drunk and you can't even talk to him without him spacing out on you. He's always in his room when he's at home. Palaging nagmumukmok. Hindi kumakain. Hindi nagsasalita." he narrated. "I know you're also having a hard time. I'm sorry for what happened to the both of you. Honestly I'm happy na pinakawalan ka niya kasi alam ko namang di ka magiging masaya sa kanya hangga't ganyan siya. Pero there's also a part of me na nanghihinayang. Nanghihinayang kasi you were the only girl who made him grow. Who made him be a better man. Who made him realize what love is. You were the first girl who brought out the best in him. Yung mga talent niyang hindi niya nadidiscover, ikaw ang nagpalabas nun. You became a big part of his life kaya ganyan siya ngayon. Because a part of him you took with you."