Forever

It's been their habit ever since. Going to the park every weekend and watch the kids play and the people laugh and talk. They never really grew tired of it. Even if it's been 5 years already.

"5 years..." he said. She smiled at him and nodded. Held his hand and gave it a light squeeze. "Who would've thought diba?"

"Oo. Parang dati aso't pusa tayo kung mag-away. Pero tignan mo nga naman ngayon." she said. Ngumiti siya dito saka tumango.

They were the perfect couple. Started with a not so extraordinary love story. Started out as college friends, and ended up being together.

"Alam mo, sabi saken ni Maq di daw tayo tatagal." he said. She laughed at him saka siya naman ang tumango.

"She told me that too. Wanna know how many times?"

"Hundreds?" they both laughed as they think of her bestest friend in the world.

"Countless times. Sabi niya, 'Sa sobrang babaero niyang si Elmo, tignan lang natin hanggang kailan mo kayaning tanggapin yang lalaking yan.' Grabe no?"

"Ouch." he said, acting hurt. "Pero tinanggap mo pa din ako."

"Yeah. Tinanggap kita kasi mahal kita eh. And no matter how many times I was deeply hurt, mas nangingibabaw yung pagmamahal ko sayo. Inaasar nila ko na ang martyr ko daw pero wala eh. Mahal kita and that's enough para patawarin kita sa lahat ng pagkakamali mo."

He wanted to cry at her words pero nangibabaw yung saya. She loves him and he loves her too. He loves her more than his own life.

"Do you remember that time when I got into an accident during the basketball season?"

"Oo naman. I was so worried at you na kahit galit na galit ako sayo the night before, pinuntahan pa rin kita sa hospital just to check if you're okay." she said.

"Alam mo, akala ko talaga nun wala ka ng paki saken. Sobra kasi yung galit mo nun saken kaya din siguro di ako nakapagconcentrate sa laro. Because I was thinking about you. Tapos when I saw you rushing to my side at the emergency room, dun ko naisip na ikaw na. You're the girl I'm gonna spend my life with. Because no matter how mad you are at me, you still came and checked if I was doing fine."

"It was just a petty fight. Di rin naman kaya ng konsensya kong di mag-alala sayo." she said.

"Yeah..."

There was a long moment of silence between them. Hinayaan lang ang isa't isa na manahimik at magmasid. He stared at her as the wind blows her hair. She looked wonderful. From the day they met years ago up until now. Mas gumanda pa nga siya ngayon. She looked perfect to him. She always has been.

She looked at the kids playing at the park. Watched them run and play and she couldn't help but wonder out loud.

"Sa tingin mo. Sino sa mga batang yan ang magiging kagaya natin?" she asked as she looks at him. She caught him staring at her at agad siyang napaiwas ng tingin.

"Sa kanila? Hm... Maybe Hugo and that girl wearing the purple dress."

"Talaga? Bakit?"

"Hugo is like me. Maloko pero kapag nasaktan yung babae, aamuhin agad. And the little girl is a lot like you. Kahit awayin ni Hugo, they still end up being the best playmates in this park." he replied.

"Yeah. Tama ka nga. They could meet again once they're all grown up. Siguro di na nila matatandaang naging magkalaro sila nung mga bata sila but there will be that certain connection. That certain familiarity between them. Diba?"

"Yes." he nodded. "I just wish Hugo will grow up to be the son you want him to be. To be the man he wants to be."

"Oo naman. I'll make sure of that." she smiled.

"No doubt about it naman. You're the Julie Anne San Jose. The Julie who loves kids." they both laughed and Julie even pushed him playfully.

"Baliw!" she giggled. He then saw her brow furrowed and she heaved a deep sigh. "Moe..."

"Yeah?"

"What happened to us?" she asked him rather seriously. Natahimik siya at napayuko. It was a random question. An innocent one too. "Why did this happen to us?"

"I-I don't know Jules... I..." he couldn't find the words. She heaved another deep sigh and stared into nothing.

"The day we decided to end things up, sabi ko sa sarili ko na siguro nga ito na yung huli. Kasi pati ako napagod na rin. Pati ako nainip na. Pati ako nawalan na ng gana. Sabi ko kay Maq, kung tayo talaga, pagtatagpuin uli tayo sa panahon na handa na tayong maging seryoso. Handa na tayong maging masaya uli. At heto nga. 5 years after we went our separate ways, pinagtagpo uli tayo. Handa na maging seryoso sa buhay. At handa na maging masaya..."

"Yun nga lang hindi na sa isa't isa..." Elmo finished. Julie smiled her sad smile and nodded slowly.

"Hindi na nga lang sa isa't isa." she echoed. "I'm sorry if our promised forever expired, Moe."

"It's not your fault Julie. Wala ka namang ibang ginawa but to love me unconditionally pero ako tong nagtake advantage sayo. I should be the one saying sorry. Tama si Maq. Hindi tayo tatagal dahil gago ako. At sa kagaguhan kong yun nawala yung babaeng minahal ko. I lost half of myself when you gave up on me. And I'm not gonna stop blaming myself for it."

"Moe..." he held her hand and kissed it gently.

"I have to be honest with you. I still love you. Di na ata mawawala yun. Pero I'm happy for you. For having the family that you've been wishing for. For being happy after all the heartaches I gave you. For finding the guy that will save you." he said. He smiled and she smiled back. "And always remember that no matter what happens, I'll be here for you. If you need anything, just tell me and I'll be there." he added. Nagulat siya when she reached out for him and wiped his tears away. Umiiyak na pala siya hindi niya pa alam. He chuckled and pressed his cheek on her warm hand. How he missed her doing that to him. "Don't forget me okay?" he said.

"Never." she assured him.

"Mommy!!!" nagulat silang dalawa when they heard Hugo's voice. He was running towards them, his cheeks rosy because of all the running he did. "Mommy can we have ice cream?"

"Sure, baby. Where do you want to go?" Julie asked.

"I don't know. Ninong is the ice cream expert. Right ninong?" Hugo said and looked at Elmo with his big round eyes. Elmo smiled at the young boy who looked so much like his father. Parang pinagbiyak na bunga. And even if Elmo wanted to feel jealous and angry, he can't because he loves this kid so much. He's the only connection he has with Julie. Even if everytime he sees him, he regrets everything he did before.

"Of course, buddy. Ninong will take you and mommy to the best ice cream shop I know."

"Yehey!!! I love you ninong! This is the best day ever!" Hugo cried and even hugged his Ninong Elmo. He felt a stray tear rolling down his cheek as he hugged the boy back.

"Ninong loves you too..."