Janeba and it's Too Many Secrets

The road to Janeba was quite pleasant in a scenic kind of way, the rain had stopped sometime in the night and now the sun shone warmly over acres of farmland, dotted by farmhouses and cool ponds of shimmering water. Annabel stared out the window with conflicting emotions, on one hand she was glad she was finally arriving and excited to see Janeba and all it had to offer. On the other she was almost dreading seeing Flynn, all the warning he'd given her about his school flashing through her mind. It had occurred to Annabel that Flynn had seemed to want her to have nothing to do with Janeba or any of its students and that she'd completely ignored that. She hoped she hadn't made a mistake.

"A drink Annabel? Miss Hansen?" And to make matters worse Master Riou and Tray had decided to travel in their carriage, turning Annabel considered the small cup of amber liquid he was pouring for the others. She accepted one a little less than graciously and took a sip and a surprisingly familiar  cool, fruity taste filled her senses.

"My, whatever is in this?" Miss Hansen asked in surprise as she sipped, Tray beamed at her happily as he bottled it and set the canteen down.

"My secret, can't tell you." He laughed lightly, Annabel turning away as the drinks wonderful flavour turned to ash in her mouth. She couldn't help but wonder about Flynn, did she really even know him? Absently she twisted her ring around her finger, not really listening as Miss Hansen chatted away about Tayend and the hopes it had for this emissary mission. Slowly the carriages turned and headed downwards into what appeared to be a great quarry, Tray smiling as cool shadow washed over them.

"Ah we're almost here." He said warmly, obviously glad to be near his home. Miss Hansen and Annabel were both confused as they gazed out at the rough rocks on either side.

"You must forgive us, Janeba has kept its existence hidden for centuries, unlike your Tayend school. As such many things that are open and normal for you will be hidden and concealed here. It is simply our way." Despite Master Riou's offhand dismissal of the school's secrets Annabel couldn't help a cold flush at his words. Just what would be concealed and more importantly, why? As they disembarked from the carriages Annabel noted the confusion and uneasiness on the faces of the other women from Tayend. Looking up at the jagged lip of the quarry on every side Annabel had a horrible vision of robed figures suddenly appearing and blasting them away. Master Riou merely strode over to a piece of wall much the same as the rest and placed a hand upon it. Nothing happened for a long moment then the rock before him vanished into mist, in its place were two colossally huge copper doors, covered with shifting runes making strange patterns and pictures that were forgotten the moment they were glanced at.

"Welcome to Janeba ladies, please follow me." Master Riou called, cold voice ever so slightly mocking as he observed the women's wonder and shock. Without any signal the two great doors began to swing silently inwards. Though whole process made no sound, if somebody weren't looking down into the quarry they would have no idea that the magical door had appeared at all. To Annabel's surprise there were a line of women in simple white dresses striding confidently out of the school's doors.

"Don't worry about the luggage, the servants will take care of it all." Annabel jumped slightly, she hadn't noticed that Tray had walked up to stand beside her, and now that she had she found him uncomfortably close. He looked amused when she firmly took a step away from him but didn't comment on it.

"Servants? I didn't realise there would be anyone here other than magicians." Miss Hansen said curiously, Annabel eyed the women carefully, for servants they seemed very confident. She took the precaution of muttering a spell to detect magic amongst them but found nothing.

"Well in fact they are mostly the wives and daughters of our magicians, they serve as our servants so that we may focus on magic. I believe one of the things the dean was interested in discussing with your group is the possible screening and acceptance into Tayend school if they prove capable. Master Riou explained as he led the group into the gloomy shadow of Janeba, the great hall was lit by a single great chandelier, its flames smoky in the cavernous space. Unlike Tayend the hall was empty save for servants and the newly arrived sorceresses. Even as they stood uncertainly another wave of white dressed women, these much younger than those previously, came out of the various tunnels and approached the Tayend women confidently.