A Farewell Party

Charlotte and Tamsin found Annabel sitting outside of the school in one of the gardens that spotted the mountainside; Annabel sat on a bench at the top of a very long flight of stairs that would make it impossible for anyone with a limp to approach. Despite her resolve she had cried, and then she had stopped, and then she had cried again. Now she just sat, sat and thought over every action Flynn had ever made, twisting his ring around and around as if that might somehow fix the problem. The two girls, one overly plain and one overly vain sat on either side of her and hugged her tight, she began crying again.

“What’s the matter Annabel?” Charlotte asked as she and Tamsin held her tight, Annabel took a moment to wipe the tears from her eyes.

“He doesn’t trust me. Won’t talk to me about it. Whatever it is.” She managed and Tamsin sighed heavily.

“I’m sorry Annabel.” The blonde said quietly and Annabel laughed weakly.

“What for? I don’t know why I’m so...so...” she fanned her hands to try and dry her eyes but it seemed to have no effect. “Why am I being so...so stupid?” she asked as she tried to contain herself, Charlotte pressed her lips together and glanced at Tamsin who nodded.

“Just say the word and we’ll get as many girls together as possible, break down that door and beat him around a bit.” Annabel couldn’t help but laugh at the prospect.

“Don’t. There’d be no point in it. But thanks anyway.” The girls sat in silence for a long time before Annabel sighed and stood up. “I am not going to mope about, get the girls together. We’re having a party.” Tamsin clapped happily and jumped to her feet while Charlotte looked suddenly nervous.

“We don’t have permission.” The mousy girl said quietly as Tamsin danced around laughing, Annabel cocked her head to one side, hands on her hips and with a mischievous smile.

“Since when has that stopped me Charlotte? I’ve been too good for too long, it’s time I started having fun again. And if anyone doesn’t like it they came ram their damn staff where the sun doesn’t shine.” That made Charlotte smile and Tamsin cheered, the blonde couldn’t stop grinning, a party was just the excuse she needed to try on everything she owned and spend ages working her hair.

“Tomorrow night we are going to have the biggest party we’ve ever had. Tamsin go get food and drinks sorted, mostly drink I think. Charlotte spread the word.” Annabel knew Tamsin would be able to get her hands on large amounts of alcohol that shouldn’t be available to the students, Annabel herself had never drank a drop in her life but she knew the other girls would want some.

“What about you Annabel? Not leaving us with all the work are you?” Annabel laughed as Charlotte yanked Tamsin down beside her.

“I’m going to see someone about some music.” Annabel said with a cheeky grin, the other girls shared a look and suddenly cheered.

Annabel took a deep breath as she studied the black door in front of her, it was one of the only dorm rooms in the entire school not protected by magic, and this one was protected by its reputation. On the other side of this door was where the oldest, meanest group of students in the school slept eat and did pretty much anything the other girls could imagine. They were also the best musicians in the school, they had perfected magic that enhanced and improved the sound of their instruments, giving them a totally unique sound. Summoning her courage Annabel knocked on the door, there was a long pause then the door grated open, the girl on the other side had short-cropped hair that she’d dyed a bright pink streaked with blue.

“What?” she asked as Annabel paused for breath.

“Um...we...we’re throwing a party and wanted to know if you’d...play for us?” the girl stared at Annabel for a while.