The Orphans Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

“Courtney.”

“Courtney.”

“Courtney.”

“Cccccooooouuuurrrttttnnnnneeeyyyy.”

“Fine, tell me already!” I all but scream at her

She takes a big breath before talking. 

“Well he’s gathered a lot of people to adopt but he doesn’t know exactly how many.  He has a few more calls to put in, but there the very iffy ones. Also, he and all the other people that are coming plan on attending the adoption day on Saturday.  Finally, he found out if there a less than thirty girls in a home then they shall be split into other homes, because it costs too much to fund that little amount of people/girls.” 

“65% is as low as I will go.”

“I know.”

We fall into a comfortable silence as we finish cleaning.

*ADOPTION DAY!!*

I stare around at the huge mass of people outside mingling with the younger girls. Simon didn’t fail to meet our expectations. I’ve never seen such a big turnout at adoption day; it is breath taking to witness. Sixty-five girls have already been adopted. Sixty-five!! That must be a record or something and it’s only about eleven o’clock.  Jenna and I stand off to the side making sure everything goes smoothly, helping the witch with adoption forms and making sure there’s plenty of refreshment’s.

I feel Jenna leave my side; I watch her walk over to someone. At first I don’t recognize who it is but then it clicks. Simon, he actually came to the event. I am surprised by that, why would he need to be here?    Before I get the chance to walk over there a young couple comes over and starts asking me some questions about adopting.

*Jenna’s POV* (I don’t usually write in more than one POV.)

I see Simon weaving through the crowd trying to reach us, so I leave Courtney’s side to make it easier on him. 

“What a turnout.” I say so that I can grab his attention

Simon spins around surprised.

“Why yes, yes it is.” '

“Courtney didn’t mean to make it such a hassle for you, but we really need to get these girls adopted. There all wonderful little girls, and they all deserve a good home and a nice family.”

 “I understand.  Speaking of Courtney, where is she?” 

I go to point at where she was last standing, but to only see it vacant. God that girl certainly has a knack for disappearing. She does this all the time at public events. I spin around a few times trying to spot her but to no avail.