Got Rum?

Chapter 4: Got rum?

I opened my eyes and light blinded me. I sat up, rubbed them so they would focus. “Crow!” I heard Marco yell. “You’re awake!” I groaned and then buried my face into my pillow.

“Wait a second,” I said as I sat back up. “What the hell are you doing in my house? And in my father’s bed room?” He smiled then sat next to me on the bed. He was wearing a  white loose shirt that was fairly see through, dark pants, and boots with his hair pulled back in a loose pony tail as usual.

“I seen Captain Vane in the market place and he asked me to come watch over you, so here I am,” he explained to me. I looked around and on the side table I seen my belt bag and a change of clothes sitting there. I threw the blanket off of me and hopped up ready to change out of these clothes. I needed to take off this cloak and shorts since they both have a bit of blood on them from last night.

“Marco, can you undo the corset?” I asked uncertainly. I’m pretty sure Marco doesn’t see me as anything more than a friend and he is like a brother, so I wasn’t worried about being in my bra around him. The thought of Marco having feelings for me seemed so awkward and weird that it almost made me cringe. I turned around so my back faced him so he could loosen the corset. His hands skillfully undid the laces and I felt freed from the corset’s constricting component. I then pulled off the cloak and I felt almost too naked. I turned around and Marco was staring at me and when I caught him he turned away from me.

“Alright I’m not looking,” he said as his hands covered his eyes. I walked over to my clothes my father left me and pulled over the maroon loose blouse he left me. I then kicked my shorts off and put of the fresh pair of tight black pants that sat on the side table.

“Okay you can uncover your eyes,” I told Marco. I noticed the black corset piece that goes with this top and debated on whether or not I wanted to put it on. “Ugh, Marco be glad you’re not a woman, because corsets suck.”

“Aye, but they look really nice,” he replied with a wink. “Here I’ll help you out with that.” I put it on and turned around so he could tighten it. I took a deep breath in and he pulled on the laces and tied it up. His hands slide down to my hips and turned me to face him. “Adriana, you look nice today.”

“Thank you,” I mumbled and blushed as I realized how close we were to each other. His right had reached towards my face and I pulled away slightly from him but then relaxed as he was just wiping something off my face.

“Why have you been crying?” He asked sternly. I looked away and then he grabbed my chin so I would look him in the eye. What is it with people and touching my face lately? “Something happened if your father had to personally come and ask me to watch over you.”

“I’m fine,” I said. “Just overwhelmed.”

“Adriana, I know you too well and know when you’re lying,” he said as he cupped my face in his hand and rubbed my cheek with is thumb which oddly soothed me. “Adriana, I care about you too much. Tell me.”

“I was out walking and one of the men involved in my mother’s murder attacked me,” I said emotionless. My entire body went numb at the memories of last nights events. “I… I killed the man.”

“Good,” he said and it shocked me. How is that good? “Because if you didn’t I would have to track down that bastard and stick my sword through his heart.”

“Marco,” I said angrily, my eyes began to sting from tears that were beginning to swell up. I blinked them away and refused to cry in front of anyone but my father. “Do you even know what it’s like to kill a man?”