Icy Wind and Unlocked Doors

"Because I love you." He whispered so quietly that I'm sure I was imagining it.
* * *

I woke up the next morning extremely cold. I was sure I had icicles hanging from my fingers and toes. I stretched my arms above my head to try to get the blood flowing through my body again. I grabbed the blanket and tugged it over me, rolling over to cuddle back up to Austin's side and instead, I was greeted by an empty bed, the sheets cold like he hasn't been here for awhile. My heart instantly dropped to the pit of my stomach at the thought of Austin going back home instead of staying with me through the night.

The clock read 12:34 am. I quickly went over to my closet to change into warmer pants and to grab a jacket. I sat back on my bed as I pulled my slippers on before I walked out of my room and down the hall to Mason's room, now on a full search for Austin, hoping he was still here somewhere.

I pushed Mason's door open slowly and slowly looked around. No sign of Austin, just my baby sleeping peacefully in his crib, his deep breathing the only sound in the room. I turned and walked back down the hallway. The bathroom light was off meaning he wasn't in there either. I took the stairs as quietly as I could, thinking maybe he was hungry and wanted something from the kitchen. When I saw the light on, a spark of hope lit up inside me and I picked up the pace. I heard the refrigerator open and then shut again but it wasn't Austin, but my mom. I guess she didn't hear me walk in because when she looked up, she jumped about a foot in the air, almost dropping her glass of water.

"Brooke? Are you okay? Is Mason okay?" My mom struggled to get all her questions out as quick as possible.

"Mason's fine, he's asleep," I said, "I can't find Austin."

My mom offered a small smile and set down her glass. "He went home about an hour and a half ago. He said he didn't want to overstay his welcome even though I told him it was okay to stay."

My heart sank even lower in the pit of my stomach, if that was even possible at all. "Oh," I whispered, gaze dropping to the tile floors.

"Is everything okay with you two? It seemed like there was something on his mind when he left." My mom asked, worry creeping into her voice.

I bit my lip, not wanting to answer. My eyesight became blurry but I dismissed it by blinking rapidly. I took a shaky breath and let it out slowly, not meeting my mom's gaze. "He said he loved me," I whispered.

"You don't feel the same anymore?"

"I do," I said before I realized what I was saying. I surprised myself but my mom didn't flinch.

"Then why're you crying?" She asked gently.

I touched my cheek, feeling hot, silent tears streaming down my face. I hadn't noticed it at all. "I'm scared." I said so quietly, I wasn't sure I even spoke at all.

"Because you're afraid he'll hurt you again?"

I didn't say a word, just nodded, feeling completely helpless.

"He really loves you, Brookelle. You know that. I know that. He's the only boy you've ever dated that your dad doesn't want to strangle," she said, causing me to laugh a little. "Bottom line is, you two belong together but that's not going to happen if you sit here any longer. He'll probably be asleep soon," she said, her gaze sliding over to the clock that was above the stove. It was now close to one in the morning.

"What do I do?" I asked, more confident now, wiping the last tear off my cheek.

"Go," she said, "I'll look after Mason."

That's all it took for me to be out the door, barely closing the door behind me, the icy wind kissing my face.

The drive to Austin's seemed to go on forever. Had he always lived this far away? The twenty minute drive now seemed five times as long. Maybe my brain was on hyperdrive and that was why I couldn't sit still or concentrate. I was getting ahead of myself. The drive was quiet, I didn't turn the radio on.

I stopped at the red light and took a deep breath. This was my turn. When the light turned green, I took a right and turned into his neighborhood. It was eerily quiet, not many people were out and about, but that's probably because it was almost 1:30 in the morning.

I came to a slow stop in front of his house. His red Range Rover sat parked in the driveway. He was home. Memories from the last time I was here resurfaced but I shook my head and shut my eyes tight. I forced myself to take the key out of the ignition and pushed open my door and stepping outside. I don't know what it was about tonight but it was unbearably cold, making me wish I had brought a warmer jacket with me.

I gripped my keys in my hand, the tips of the keys digging into my palm, but the pain was barely noticeable. I trudged up to his front door, putting one foot in front of the other. I didn't want to knock. I didn't want to ring the doorbell either. I was starting to wonder if I even wanted to go inside. I pushed that thought aside and marked it as ridiculous. This was Austin, we were talking about. I shouldn't be nervous.

"You're nervous because you're in love with him." A voice in the back of my mind whispered. I desperately wished my brain would turn off for five seconds, giving me enough time to just walk inside.

I counted to three and twisted the doorknob, not surprised when I found out his door wasn't locked. I mentally cursed at him for being so reckless as I quietly locked it behind me. I took a look around, finding out it looked the same as it had so long ago. He hadn't rearranged and the same pictures of him and his family and friends hung on the walls. I took a few more steps inside, listening for any sign of him. I heard rustling of sheets to my left, where his bedroom is and then a groan of frustration.

I counted to three again and then turned the corner, walking down the hallway to his bedroom. The door was open, allowing me to walk right in. Ultrasound pictures of Mason were placed carefully on top of his dresser. His red guitar sat in the corner of his room on its stand. His room had always been pretty bare.

For a moment, I forgot where I was until I heard his voice say, "Brooke? What are you doing here? Is Mason okay?" He said, suddenly worried.

My head whipped to the right and I saw him sitting up in bed, his hair sticking up slightly from tossing and turning in bed. His blanket was covering his waist down, showing his toned chest, biceps and stomach. Worry clouded his face and I blinked, putting myself back in the present.

I strode over to him, the worry replaced by confusion. I sat in front of him on his bed, his face only a few inches away from mine. I carefully placed my shaking hands on his cheeks and searched his hazel eyes, looking for any hint that he wanted me to stop.

His lips parted slightly, "Brooke.."

I cut off whatever he was about to say by crushing my lips to his and kissed him with everything I had. I knew I had caught him off guard because it took him a second to kiss me back. The kiss was soft but yet so passionate at the same time. Thousands of memories came flooding back to me. I tasted salt water on my lips and I pulled away, realizing I had started crying again. Austin cupped my chin in his hand and gently stroked his thumb over my cheek, wiping the tear away. He didn't say anything, just searched my face with his eyes waiting for me to speak and knowing I would when I was ready.

I slowly met his gaze and whispered, "I love you too."

***

Comment! Vote! Tweet me- @trappedsince96

I love you all so much, you don't understand. Thank you so so much for everything.