Chapter 11

Normally, with proper clothes and perhaps some make up on, the girl would’ve been quite attractive.

            But now, she was in absolute horror and terror.

            Travis, still unable to control anything but his frantic thoughts, didn’t move. Behind him, the girl cried out into the tape, thrashing against the rope, trying everything she could to escape the restrictions.

            After a few minutes, she quieted down. Her breaths were still short and shallow, and Travis heard some sniffling and whimpering.

            At long last, he turned around and faced her.

            Tears streamed down her face, her eyes puffy and red from the effort. Her body was still except her eyes, which darted around frantically, and only briefly settled on Travis. Taking a step towards her, Travis asked involuntarily, “Are you Deborah Lewis?”

            The only response was shaking and more crying.

            Travis stepped forward again, saying louder, “Are you Deborah Lewis? And answer this time!”

            Timidly, she nodded her head.

            “Good, then I didn’t ruin the wrong person’s night.” He walked towards her, despite Travis’ effort to stay still.

            “Did you attend Crescent Springs University?”

            Again, a nod.

            “A world religion major, correct?”

            She affirmed the statement.

            “In your junior year, you were approached by someone to join a special group, right?”

            Her crying intensified, answering the question for her.

            Travis took another step, only a few feet from her. “And when you were offered the illustrious opportunity to be a member of this group, you denied it, claiming the group was ‘crazy’, ‘insane’ and even ‘satanic’. Am I right?”

            When she didn’t answer, he continued. “I already know the answer. Of course I’m right. I was there. You rejected us and scoffed at us. You went on with your life and figured it would never re-enter your life. Well, you were wrong. We, the Fallen, have very specific consequences for those who reject and don’t believe in our cause. You know what the consequence is?”

            She started shouting and screaming again.

            He walked to her, and placed his hands on her head. Then, whispering, he said, “Death.”

            While she was frantically trying to avoid her bleak future, Travis began to chant something under his breath. Travis’ mind tried to identify the words, but he couldn’t. All he could do was wait until whatever was going to happen was over. He couldn’t even close his own eyes.

            As the chanting continued, the girl began to change. Her breathing calmed, slowing to a normal pace. Her movements stopped their sporadic and violent motions, replaced by stillness and a peace like attitude.       

            Travis’ head turned up towards the sky, the chanting becoming more hurried and passionate. The girl, Deborah, slowly began to lean forwards, until her face was touching her bed. Then as Travis’ reached the pinnacle of his chant, he shouted, “We believe!”. Deborah’s body snapped backwards, into a sitting posture, her eyes open.

            They were jet black.

            She started to shake, with a growing intensity. Then, with a final convulsion, her body arched backwards, hanging in the air for just a second. Deborah collapsed, hitting the bed and laying there with an eerie stillness.

            Travis breathed heavily. Sweat dripped down his forehead, and he wiped it off with the back of his hand. He bent over and gently closed her eyelids, hiding the now normal colored eyes of deceased Deborah Lewis.

            He turned and fled.