Chapter 6

“What do you mean, changed?” Travis sat up straighter.

            “Well, after you left, your mother and I began to attend a group explaining some spiritual concepts.”

            Travis was shocked. “Seriously? You never were interested in that before. You never taught us anything like that when we were younger.”

            “I know, which is why it surprised me why you enrolled in religious classes-“

“I enrolled in those classes because I knew nothing about God or anything spiritual.”

Michael halted for a second, then nodded and continued. “Regardless, we started going. It really opened our eyes to supernatural and spiritual things.”

“That still doesn’t explain why you’re here.”

Travis’s mother touched her son’s arm. “Let your father finish please.”

Michael pressed on. “When the hospital here called us to let us know what happened, they also said you injured yourself in a tunnel. That night, which was just last night, when I went to our group, I told them of your situation. The moment I said mentioned the tunnel here, they all gasped. They informed me of the history of the tunnel, as it became a popular case about a year back. Apparently some hideous cults met there and preformed some nasty and cruel acts.”

“Yeah, the university held a meeting for all the students and faculty addressing that.”

“Well, it’s true. And when I heard the history about the tunnel and what happened to you, we were both concerned.”

“So you flew out to see me because your spiritual group gave you a conscience?” Travis was unsure.   

“We were alarmed at what they told us and wanted to make sure you were alright. Travis, do you even realize the severity of what could have happened if…” He didn’t finish his sentence.

“If what?” Travis urged.

Michael paused, sighed, then continued. “If the spiritual realm was disturbed and decided to punish you for the disruption?”

“Why would they do that?”

“The spirits do not like being bothered once they have settled in a location, in your case the tunnel.”

“What is the punishment?” Travis was both intrigued and scared at these implications.

“Perhaps punishment is the wrong word. The spirit, or spirits, will usually empress themselves on the individual who interrupted them. Often the spirit will take over the person by force, disregarding the individuals well being and health.” Michael took a breath and glanced at Travis. His face remained expressionless.

Pressing on, Travis’s father said, “Once inside the person’s head, only two things can remove the spirit. Either a successful intervention by a priest or holy man, or the spirit will decide to leave on its own, which is rare.”

“But possible?” Travis asked.

“Yes, possible. But rare. Interventions are more common, yet the success rate is just as low.”

Travis shifted uncomfortably.

“So the real question is,” ventured Michael Ryland with delicacy and caution, “have you been…how do I say it…”

“Oppressed?” Travis offered.

“Sure.”

Travis quickly considered his options. If he told them, chaos could break out. That had to be the whole reason they came, to see if he was oppressed. After what his father told him, Travis was certain an answer of “yes” would disturb them. His father was apparently very involved with religious and spiritual things, and to tell his father that he was possessed, or oppressed would not be good.

“No, I’m not. I just hit my head and have a headache.”

Visual relief crossed over Travis’s parent’s faces. A “Thank God” escaped from Lynn’s mouth.

Michael smiled. “Literally.” Both parents shared a short laugh.

Before either could start another conversation, Linda poked her head in Travis’s room.

“You have another visitor, Travis.” She retreated, and Britt walked in, a messenger bag containing schoolbooks hanging on her shoulder. She dropped it on the nearest chair and rushed over to Travis.

“How are you?” Then she glanced at her parents. “Hi Mom, Dad.”

“Hello, dear.” They replied simultaneously.  

“I’m doing good. My head hurts a little, but that’s expected.” He shifted nervously. Having his family together suddenly made him uncomfortable.

“Well, your mother and I are going to go now. We’ll be in town for a few more days.” Michael Ryland handed Travis a card with a number. “I got a new cell phone number. Maybe we can all go out for lunch. Our treat.” They both smiled, and waited for an answer from either Travis or Britt.

Neither of them replied.

Lynn touched her husband’s arm, and he quietly muttered, “Alright.” They turn and left their children.

Britt waited until they disappeared from view before asking, “What happened?”

Travis started to speak, then stopped.

Finally he said, “Mom and Dad haven’t changed at all.”