Chapter 8

“Goodnight Travis, don’t stay up too late,” Britt waved to her brother and closed her bedroom door.

            Travis continued to search for a show to interest him. He was not interested in sleep at all, knowing what would inevitably happen if he did. To avoid the choice seemed like the best option for now. Stalling, thinking, and escaping the consequence appealed to him, not the fate that potentially lay before him.

            He finally settled on an action movie starring Matt Damon. He slowly became entranced by the movie and his full attention was focused on the screen.

            Halfway through the movie, Travis heard a slamming door in the kitchen. The sound startled him and he jumped, heart racing and pulse pounding. He stood up and searched with his eyes for a weapon to intimidate the intruder. He spotted one of his bigger textbooks and silently picked it up. He walked over to the wall opposite of the kitchen and slowly approached the edge at the entrance. After a few deep breaths, he tensed, then spun around and he saw who was in the kitchen.

            It was the Fallen Angel.

            Travis uttered a small cry of fear and dropped the book, which clattered on the floor with a dull thud.

            The Fallen Angel causally stood by the counter with a glass of wine in his hand. He put a finger up to his mouth and shushed Travis saying, “You’re going to wake your sister.”

            “How…I mean…I’m awake…you were in my dreams…” Travis muttered and staggered against the wall, bracing himself with an arm. “Am I dreaming?” He looked back and saw the movie still playing on the television.

            “You aren’t dreaming Travis.” The Fallen Angel took a sip of his wine.

            “Then how are you here? Am I hallucinating?”

            The Fallen Angel shrugged, then stated, “Call it what you like. Either way, I’m here because I knew you weren’t going to go to sleep anytime soon. I wanted to speed up the process.”

            “So if I called for Britt to come here, she wouldn’t see you?” Travis asked.

            “No, she wouldn’t. But she would think you were having ‘visions’ and put you back in the hospital.”

            Travis didn’t like that idea. He didn’t need his sister worrying about him any more. He bowed his head and closed his eyes, trying to make sense of what was happening.

            He lifted his head and opened his eyes to ask the Fallen Angel a question.

            He was gone.

            Travis turned around and saw the Fallen Angel sitting on the couch, back to Travis, enjoying the movie.

            Travis cried out in surprise again.

            “Are you trying to give me a heart attack and kill me? Sheesh…”

            “I could if you wanted me to.” The Fallen Angel didn’t move or seem disturbed by what he just said.

            Travis remained speechless for a few seconds then spoke, “Why are you here?”

            “You know why Travis. I need an answer. And I’m not leaving until you tell me.”

            This was the moment of truth for Travis. He knew how he wanted to answer but was afraid to say it. In the few seconds of hesitation, the Fallen Angel spoke again.

            “You’ve decided you don’t want me, haven’t you? Understandable. I mean, why would anyone WILLINGLY want a demon in them? It’s insanity! What if I could give you a taste of the power I posses? Would that change your mind? Hmm?” The Fallen Angel’s head turned to face Travis.

            Travis still didn’t know what to say. He stood frozen. Before Travis could think about moving, the Fallen Angel was in front of him and poked him in the chest.

            The moment his finger touched Travis, a surge of overwhelming energy coupled with a rush of thoughts overtook his mind. Travis felt as if his entire body was growing in strength and knowledge. His eyes were physically closed but spiritually they were open to realms of being that Travis had no idea existed. Microsecond flashes of events taking place halfway across the world were as plain as if Travis were in their midst. He knew information that he had no business knowing. People’s innermost thoughts, desires, fears, securities, strengths and weaknesses. His brain rushed and whirred, trying to process the flood.

            Then it was over.

            Travis opened his eyes and started to gasp. He stumbled and collapsed next to the couch, clutching his head. After a couple seconds he stared in wonder at the Fallen Angel.

            He smiled back.

            “Get out of me! I don’t want you!” Travis scrambled backwards to get away from the Fallen Angel.

            The smile faded into a frown.

            “You sure you want that?”

            “Yes! Go, now! Go!”

            “You brought this on yourself.” Then the Fallen Angel disappeared and Travis found himself lying on the floor, breaths shallow and heart storming.

            Travis didn’t sleep that night.