Chapter 5

-Chapter 5-

To say mum was angry would be an understatement. When I turned up at home at 1 in the morning she was furious. She made hulk look like a big baby.  

Haze was just lucky he left before he could cop the rage of Ashley. She was sitting in the lounge room, light still on and the TV’s volume turned right down so you could only just hear it if you strained your ears.

When the door closed lightly behind me she stands and turned around instantly with a face as red as blood. “WHERE IN HEAVENS HAVE YOU BEEN, SNOWY?!” She yells.

“Don’t answer that… I don’t care where you’ve been!” Mum says before I even get the chance to open my mouth. “What I want to know is why I got a call from your school saying that you skipped the second half of the day!”

I lower my head shamefully. I should have never gotten in the car with Haze. I shouldn’t have done this to my mum. Despite her quick temper and punishments I know she only does it to protect me because she loves me.

“I took a ride with a friend to meet up with some people.” I say as simple as I can. Haze isn’t what I’d call a ‘friend’ but there was no word for him so it’s probably the best fit for now.

Mum places her hands on her hips. “Well for this little stunt you pulled, you’re grounded!” She yells, most likely waking the whole neighbourhood.

I nod, “For how long?”

“Up until I tell you you’re no longer grounded.” She says, “Now go to bed, you have school tomorrow, and I expect you straight back afterwards.”

“Yes, mum.” I say, quietly making my way up to my room even though there’s no need.  Gillian and Dad would be fully awake with mum’s voice shaking the walls.

I hear her sigh deeply and sit down heavily on the couch but I don’t turn back around to acknowledge it. Probably best if I left her alone for now.

Up in my room, I close the door and sit on the edge of my bed. Reaching my hand into my pocket I pull out the picture of the two boys smiling and silently sit staring at it. I don’t know what it is about this picture but something about it seems to make me want to hug Haze and ask what happened to that smile that I’m looking at now.

Without thinking about it I pull out my desk chair and sit down, pulling out pencils and pad. Humming a tune in my head as lines form shapes across the paper.

~@~

When I finally finish I turn towards the alarm clock beside my bed. ‘1:53’ the digital numbers read. Looking back down at the finished drawing I smile back at Haze’s smile, unable to help myself.

I place the photo in the pages with the drawing and hide it in the draw of my desk. Now, time for bed.

~@~

I wake up the next morning to a heavy weight sitting on my chest. I couch and groan in pain while I try to push whoever it is on me off. “Get off.” I’m finally able to say.

They do just that and I look up to the face of Gillian. “You fat ass.” I say, slapping his leg as he tries to dodge but instead so elegantly runs face first into the wall.

“Gillian, don’t you go making a mess up there!” Mum yells from downstairs.

A smug smile works onto my face and Gillian glares at me. “Snowy swore!” He yells back down.

“Snowy, you watch your tongue. Don’t you think I won’t chop it off!”

Ignoring them both I head into the bathroom. After a quick shower I leave into my bedroom with just a towel around my waist. I close the door and instead move the towel to work on drying my hair.