Chapter 4

-Chapter 4-

I don’t know how long I was asleep for but when I’m shaken awake by Haze we’re in a place I’d never seen before.

“How long was I asleep for?” I ask, my voice hoarse and rough from sleep.

“Three hours.” He replies like it’s nothing.

“What are we doing three hours away from home?!” I yell, unable to keep myself calm. My mum is going to kill me when she finds out I skipped school AND when I’m not at home straight after.

“Would you relax? I’m going to show you something.”

That doesn’t make this situation any better. Usually when a guy like Haze tells you that he’s going to show something to you, you fear for your life. And that’s exactly what I’m doing.

He stops the car in front of the subway and tells me to stay here. I do as he says and while I’m waiting for him to get back I curl my feet up against myself. However as I do that my knee knocks the glove box and it falls open.

I’m about to close it when I notice it’s all but empty except for a piece of paper in the back corner. I look up for a second to make sure Haze isn’t coming and when I’m assured that he isn’t I carefully reach my hand in and pry the small piece of paper out.

For a moment I think it’s just a blank piece of white paper before I instead turn it around and notice that it’s actually a picture. I hold it delicately in case it brakes, there’s a reason it’s in here. And it’s not so people can play with it.

Two boys look back at me, one is clearly a slightly younger Haze but the other is one I haven’t seen before. He’s about the age of 7 or 8, green eyes shining bright, black hair hanging over his face and mouth in a wide smile. He looks just like a younger version of Haze. They must be brothers. Then why haven’t I seen him before?

That’s when it occurs to me that even Haze has a smile, something that shocks me.

Usually he only has a smirk. This is the first time I’ve seen a real smile from him. Even if it’s in a picture it’s still nice to see that he’s capable of one.

That’s when the car door opens.

Before I can think I close the glove box with my knee and push the picture into my pocket.

Haze jumps into the car and hands me a bag of food. “I see you’ve made yourself comfortable.” He laughs at my curled up body.

I try to nod but my neck seems too stiff and my head doesn’t follow the movement properly.

“What’s wrong with you?” He asks.

“Nothing.” I say, my voice higher than normal.

He nods slowly, not quite believing me. “Okay then.”

Without a word he starts the car and I can’t help but to let my mind wander back to the photo in my pocket. Silently hoping that there will be a time when I can put it back.

He pulls up moments later on the side of a river. What are we doing here?

As if hearing my thoughts he turns to me, “We’re meeting a few of my friends,” I raise an eyebrow, “They like to fish.” He adds.

We sit there for a little while more before Haze leans over towards me and undoes my tie. He throws it in the back, alone with my blazer. “What are you doing?” I growl, trying to retrieve them. He slaps my hand away and I pull it back towards my body, rubbing the pain out of it.

“They’re not the kind who appreciates tidiness.” He explains before ruffling my hair.

I rub it down the best I can, feeling unclean. “Well I do!” I snap, grabbing my blazer and tie from back. I put them on as neatly as I can and rub my hair back down some more.