Chapter 22

I can imagine Carissa's expression being this when she plays video games with Louis.

~~~

Zayn's POV

I feel a jolt of pain running through my cheek, making me open my eyes to see Carissa.

Did she just slap me?

"You're awake-"

"Don't even try to sweet talk me Zayn," she snaps, wincing as she shifts weight on her foot. "I can't believe you did that to Liam!"

"What?" I ask in disbelief.

"You beat him to a pulp Zayn, you didn't even let him talk." She defends him. "You don't even know the whole story of why he kissed me."

"Why then?" I snap. "Why did he f.ucking kiss you?" I cross my arms and wait for her to speak.

"We wanted to get to know each other so we played truth or dare, but if we pass, we have to remove one article of clothing," she explains, "Liam asked what my kink was and I told him. I guess he was turned on, so we kept playing until I was only in my bra and panties-"

"Why did you even agree to play?" I ask her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Well I was in a s.hit mood because of you, and at least they were trying to make me feel better." Her eyes narrow toward me.

"You think I wasn't in a s.hit mood?" She shakes her head. "Well I was, I tried everything to get you back, I keep telling you I f.ucked up, but you being you, you didn't listen to me." I roll my eyes at her.

"What that supposed to mean?" She bites, her posture tense.

"Nothing," I mumble.

"Nothing my fucking a.ss," she spats, "you know what? We can't even last a month being in a relationship."

"Don't tell me we're breaking up," I feel my chest tighten.

Her eyes soften for a second, but immediately turn into fire as she clenches her fists.

"Do you want that to happen Zayn? Do you want us to break up? So you can f.uck those girls you meet at the bar?" She steps back, opening the door she came out of.

"I don't want that to happen Carissa, I f.ucking love you and you just push it away like I did something bad-"

"That's because you did something bad," she takes deep breaths, leaving her hand on the door. "Just leave me alone for a few days so we can sort things out." She sighs, opening the door and stepping in.

I don't get to protest when she shuts the door, leaving me in the hallway. Without even knocking, I enter the hospital room and all eyes avert toward me.

"Who are you?" Two adults ask, and I'm guessing they're Carissa's parents.

"Zayn," I quickly say before walking over to Liam's bed, seeing him bruised up. Half of my mind feels happy that he got what he deserved, but the other half is filled with guilt.

"What do you want?" Liam asks in a monotone voice.

"Look," I place my hands out in surrender, "I'm sorry I beat you."

"Really Zayn?" Louis pipes up. "That's the best you got in an apology?"

"Shut up," I tell him, shooting him a look before looking back at Liam.

"You didn't even let me talk, you just hit me over and over again," he whispers.

"I'm sorry, I got protective over her, and I didn't want anyone to get in the way of us." I tell him truthfully. "I just get so angry and it bursts."