Chapter 34

Carissa's POV

When I wake up, I lay in bed and listen to Zayn's snores.

It's around eight in the morning, and I have about two hours until Liam arrives. I feel excited, but at the same time nervous. Getting a job will probably be easy, but I've never actually worked before. I'll probably look like an idiot just standing there.

Maybe I'm just thinking ahead, playing scenarios out in my head so that I'll physic myself out. I really need to calm down.

I look at Zayn and snuggle closer to him, feeling the softness of his skin against mine. The way he looks sleeping is honestly the most humblest thing ever. His face is calm, the way his forehead doesn't crease just makes him look peaceful. My hand reaches up to his soft hair, and I begin to softly caress it. When he starts to stir, I pull my hand away and sigh.

Finally taking my gaze away from him, I manage to get out of Zayn's hold and slip out of bed.

After taking a quick shower, I dry my hair and slip on my underwear and bra before heading over to the closet. I shouldn't wear anything too nice, but I shouldn't dress like I don't care, so I pick out a pair of black skinny jeans with a gray washed shirt. Putting those on, I wear some black Converse and tuck the front of the shirt in.

When I put my phone in my jeans, I walk over to Zayn--who's still sleeping--and press a kiss to his cheek. He mumbles something before turning on his other side, grabbing a pillow to smack his cheek onto. Giggling softly, I walk out of the bedroom and make myself some bread.

While popping the bread into the toaster, my phone blares and I jump, laughing to myself. Grabbing my phone quickly, I answer it and press the phone to my ear while trying to find the jam.

"Hello?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows as I open a cabinet, failing to find the jam.

"Hey Carissa," Liam greets me. "I'm here right now just so you know."

My eyes widen and I curse to myself. The toaster pops and I quickly grab it and place it on a napkin before finally finding the strawberry jam.

"Okay okay I'll be there in like five minutes." I tell him before shouting a quick bye and hanging up. After putting my phone away, I grab a butter knife and smear the jam onto the toast.

I scramble around the apartment, trying to find a notepad and pen. When I do, I write a quick note to Zayn before opening the door, locking it and stepping out, then shutting it.

I practically sprint when I reach the lobby, seeing Liam leaning against the car. He chuckles when he sees me breathless, and panting while he open the car door for me.

"Thank you," I say in a big breath, climbing into the car.

***

During the car ride, I can't help but feel nervous again. Bad scenarios begin to play in my head, and my hands begin to sweat. I drag my hands across the material of my jeans to wipe the sweat away and shift in my seat in an attempt to get comfortable. But I just can't. Liam takes notice and sighs with a smile.

"Carissa chill out," Liam chuckles as he keeps his eyes on the road. "My manager is really cool."

"I can't help it," I admit, feeling my heart beat faster and faster. He takes one hand off the wheel and places it on my thigh. I stiffen for almost a millisecond, then relax again, hoping he won't notice. He almost looks surprised that I let him keep his hand there, but I know that he's trying to comfort me.

"You'll be fine," he reassures me. I nod, leaning back as I watch the cars going in the opposite direction pass.

Liam parks close to a building. It was fairly large with white painted walls and a sign that says 'Grocery Store' in bold, white uppercase letters with a black border around them. It had an automatic sliding door as I watched people walk in and out.