Chapter 2 - The Pretty, Old Inn

Chapter 2  

I spun round to see Elijah standing right behind me still holding onto my small wrist, I looked straight into his bright gold and green eyes. "What do you want Elijah?"

   "So, what were you and your friends talking about? It was obvious it was about us."

   "Well, there's no point telling you something you already know and is that what you wanted to ask? Is that all?" I yanked my wrist out of his firm grip. "You are so pathetic, you're not great or "perfect", you don't even know what to say to me because of this morning and now you are being paranoid." I frowned at him.

   "I'm not paranoid, I just would like to know if you were talking about us," he said taking a step forward.

   "Don't worry," I said placing my hand on his arm. "I haven't told them that the clan are killers," I said coldly.

   "You don't even know that," said Elijah, pointing his right index finger at my face. On his ring finger I noticed I strange, but beautiful, ring; it was a semi-sphere which had two snakes wrapped around it. "Hello?" He put his hand down and snapped out of my daze and remembered what was happening.

   "Then tell me why people are mysteriously dying of animal attacks when it's a bit obvious it isn't animal attacks!" I shouted back in frustration. Elijah didn't reply, he looked away for a couple of seconds and then turned back.

   "What am I supposed to do to convince you that it isn't my friends? I have done nothing wrong to you and you are just picking on me." I put my blonde curly hair round my ears and looked him in the eye and leaned over right towards his face. "Because you are with them, you live with them, you came here with them," I said darkly, talking right in his face, we were so close that we were in kissing distance. 

   "So I'm supposed to leave them, just so I can gain your friendship? Fuck you!" Elijah shouted at me, he barged past me and stomped away in anger. I felt bad for making him upset but I wasn't surprised he was paranoid, because he doesn't want me saying to anyone that it might be the clan who are to blame for the recent killings, who wouldn't be. If my mom and Christian are friends I guarantee he'll be (and Elijah) coming round to our house often. I couldn't wait to be able to go to my dad's and just get away from this stupid town even if it was for a couple of days. Just thinking about it made be happy, to just get away from here and away from Elijah and the clan. Happy days.

The next week Christian had came over and (unfortunately) Elijah came too, they were both sitting at the dining room table like before. Instead of walking off I decided to sit with them avoiding eye contact with Elijah despite the fact he was staring at me the whole time. I shook it off as much as I could and turned the television on for the news. I turned to look at Elijah and he quickly turned away from me so I wouldn't notice that he was looking at me. Pathetic.

   "Breaking news. A missing person has been reported in the town of Clevedon," the news woman said in her mono tone voice and everyone turned their attention to the television. "The person is believed to be high school girl Karlie Monaghan, seventeen years of age." My mom was about to turn it off, but I put my hand up to make her stop not breaking eye contact with the TV. "She was last seen at Harlington High last week. Because of how long she has been missing, police have called off the search and will resume at a later date." My mom quickly turned it off, and I, in shock, stood up and went up to my room. I didn't cry until I curled up on my bed and tears started pouring out my eyes. 'I can't believe my best friend is missing AND might be dead... I don't care if she has been a bitch to me... I still loved her and now she's gone. And she might NEVER come back'. After five minutes of continuous crying the door opened, it was Elijah, he didn't say anything but sat on the end of the bed and on top of my plain purple duvet covers. He didn't look at me, he just stared at the wall in front. I would've said for him to go but I was too upset to say anything, and maybe he wanted to apologize to me for being so stupid.