Chapter 1 - New Around

Chapter 1

The alarm sounded to wake me up at six o'clock but I'd already been awake for one whole hour just lying in my bed, the duvet covers scrunched up at the end of the bed slightly hanging off the end. I was just staring at the ceiling above me thinking about the past week. That was because last week these people came, they were quite odd and I wasn't sure if they were a family or a group of friends moving into Clevedon together.

However, I knew something was different about them but it was bad... a bad aura; I remember seeing them, they were together and they had just come out of two cars, there were eight of them. These people looked young and insanely gorgeous with pale skin and bright eyes of different colours, but they weren't ordinary looking eyes. You would have thought they were from Baywatch; you could imagine all of them running along the beach in red swimwear.

Weirdly enough, a couple of the older looking ones have already made too good friends with some of the town's people already. However, ever since they came killings have started to happen, mysterious ones, ones no one could explain and no one thinks it's suspicious. Animal attacks, that's what they have been saying, but I don't think so because if they were it would have happened a long time ago... this is something different.

Three of the people from the "clan" had started to attend my school, Harlington Secondary School. They are already the talk of the school and the most popular, every girl and boy are literally lining up to become friends with them. Unfortunately, my friends are part of that line leaving me pretending I want to be their friends too, but I don't and those people know too. All I have been doing this past week is watching them and looking to see anything suspicious, but there hasn't been; the only thing is that they have been watching me.

My train of thought stopped when my mom walked in and dragged me out of bed. "C'mon Spenc get changed into your uniform and come downstairs, with got some visitors," then turning into a whisper she said. "They are so gorgeous, one of them is your age." My mom rushed off back downstairs and I undressed and put my uniform on for school. It was a high top black pleated skirt, a white shirt, a black jumper with a red and silver strip along the neck line and a red blazer. I really hated it but I had to wear it for school... it's the uniform!

Eventually I made it downstairs to find two good looking guys one dressed in black and the other in the school uniform sitting at the dining room table with my mom. Then when they turned around I realised something, they were part of that group that came a week ago. I froze on the spot just looking in silence."Spencer, this is Christian," my mom said putting her hand out to the one closest to her and the oldest. "And this is..."

   "Elijah," he said smiling not taking his eyes away from me, his voice was a little husky but it wasn't too deep but I swear it could make ice melt. I never returned the smile I just watched him weirdly, but he was watching me. Instead of sitting down with are "new friends" I grabbed a piece of toast put in in my mouth and got my bag.

   "Oh, Spenc can you take Elijah with you?" My mom chimed, I turned around, took the piece of toast out of my mouth and nodded.

For the first few minutes neither of us said anything, it was just silence. I'd have rather kept it that way because I didn't want to talk to Elijah... never. "You don't like me do you?"

   "You just realised?" I replied sarcastically.

   "Huh. I guess I want people to hate me because too many people like me."

   "Don't rub in my face... and besides I'm the only one that dislikes you," I said proudly not looking him in the eye.

   "You said "dislike" meaning you don't hate me right?"

   "Don't get your hopes up," Elijah smiled and shook his head to himself letting his brunette spiky hair move a little. He made a good point, I never said I hated him meaning that there's a possibility I like him a little; I didn't know him so I couldn't say I hate him already.

   "Do you hate all of my friends?"

   "Yes," I replied bluntly.

   "Why? Elijah question, I could feel his eyes on the side of my head, staring at me the whole time.

   "Well, lets see... one week ago you lot came right? Then killings start happening that no one can explain... and suddenly some of you are suddenly good friends with some of the council people and... two of them are now dead."

    "Y-you think we killed those people?" Elijah said nervously finally looking away.

   "Maybe, how would I know? And you are so lucky that I'm the only one who is suspicious," I charged off into school leaving Elijah by himself, but he wasn't by himself for long. By the time I had looked back around a swarm of girls were all around him, but when I looked at him, he was looking at me with a worried look on his face.

When I made it into class I sat down and put my head on the table. Then Leon rushed over to me and knelt by my desk, so I put my head up to see him. "Spencer, I saw you and Elijah walking together this morning."

   "And? I don't even like him, he was forced to come with me to school by my mother."

   "Well good, because I assure you... don't have anything to do with him or his little friends."

   "Why are you being all paranoid?" I stood up, "Look, I promise you I won't," I said softly, smiling and walked off, I really couldn't take Leon dictating to me about some guy that I want nothing to do with anyway. For most of the day I hadn't seen any of my friends until I saw Karlie hand in hand with one of those people walking down the corridor, her brunette hair resting perfectly over her shoulders. Every girl staring at them like daggers in their backs. I didn't even have needed to ask what was happening. "Karlie!" I shouted charging up to her and dragging her by her free hand away from everyone'and round a corner. "What do you think you're doing Karlie?!"

   "What? I'm going out with one of the most fittest guys in school, that's what I'm doing," she replied sarcastically.

   "But you can't though. You have no idea who he is, I don't think you should be dating him."

   "Oh just shut up Spencer. Just because he didn't pick you there is no need to go all jealous bitch on me," Karlie said coldly and strutted away to her new "boyfriend".

At lunch I sat with Leon because he is one of my only friends that don't like the "clan", even if it means I have to sit with his male friends as well. However, when the trio walked in you could feel the tension between them and my table of haters. There was something about these two groups that distinguished them between normal hatred of humans and different animal kingdoms hating each other. They were definitely in the animal hatred section of the meter of hate. "Guys just ignore them," I whispered placing my hand in front of me on the table. I turned my head round to see if they were looking and Elijah was, but I ignored him and turned back round.

   "Elijah keeps staring at you, did you know?" Marvel mentioned glaring at Elijah as he said it, he was one of Leon's friends, he was kind of cute but I've never really spoke to him.

   "Yeah, how could I not?" I replied sarcastically jabbing the meat that lay on my plate.

   "But why?"

   "Lets say... I said something this morning to him that he didn't like or..." I turned around to see Elijah and then turned back to the boys. "He's scared that I know something."

   "What was it then?"

   "I think you already know," I said with a smile and then dug into my food that had been sitting there for the past five minutes. "Think about it," I picked up my plate, put it on the pile of dirty plates which stood on a table at the back and left the cafeteria.

   "Spencer!" A familiar voice said grabbing my arm and spinning me around to face them.