Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Hospital

“Hannah, come on. Wake up! Please, wake up!”

I heard the frustration on Jack’s voice, mixed with sadness, and I wanted to move and assure him that I’m fine but I could not. My sudden collapse have taken it’s toll on him, considering that we just made up, and thinking that he might be too late for us to start all over again. I knew the feeling that he might have lost me again and this time I might not come back, considering that awful incident at Switzerland, when I thought he was gone from me forever, and I did not want him to suffer that amount of unbearable pain. I was trying hard to make a part of me twitch just so he could see that I could hear him, but the effort was making me weak. I was about to give up when all too sudden, he moved at my side and kissed my fingertips.

“I saw her move! I swear I saw her!” someone said excitedly, and I felt someone’s tear drop on my arm.  Jack whispered “I love you” on my ear, and I knew he was still holding me. I tried to get another hint from who was with Jack, but no other sound came except the open and close of the door as someone entered or left. After what seemed like an eternity, a professional male voice talked, and I strained my ears to fully recognize or understand what he might be saying.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Rayleigh. I am R’D Bryll and I am the doctor-in-charge of Ms. Colburgh. I assume you’re her partner?” the voice said, and I heard Jack answer with a faint yes.

“I see. Well, with the fact that Ms. Colburgh has no other relative here on Mexico, and that you are the only one who has close connection to the client, I consider you as her significant other, and I trust you to think carefully about my next words, is that clear?” Dr. R’D said, and I imagined Jack nod, considering that he did not answer the doctor’s words.

“Do you know about her condition?” the Dr. asked and Jack answered yes.

“Ms. Colburgh’s condition is a very rare one. Only 3 out of 20 are likely to develop this kind of disease, and sometimes it is too late already to even save them. Sometimes, the operation just earns them a few more years, but there are some few cases when the operation is totally successful thus letting the patient live to the fullest,” Dr. R’D said, followed by a long silence. I was beginning to panic I might have slept without me knowing, when I heard Jack talk.

“What is it?” he asked, and I wondered if I have missed some words that they were discussing. His question made no sense to me but the doctor answered, “It’s a very rare and complicated case of liver cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is a hardening of the liver because of an increase in fibrous tissue and a degeneration of active liver cells. This disease develops gradually, and that it is usually well-advanced before its symptoms cause alarm. People with this disease sometimes last for how many years, depending on the growth of the fibrous tissue and the obstruction of the liver’s portal veins, and I can only assume that Ms. Colburgh has long known her disease,” the doctor finished and I was dumbstruck. Why is he telling Jack these things? I asked myself hysterically, and I tried so hard to tell the doctor that he should stop already. Jack was already dealing with so much things; he does not need to know about how worse my condition is already.

There was a deep silence, broken only by someone’s ragged breathing, and I imagined the doctor must be letting Jack process his thoughts. After a while, the doctor asked, “Will you agree if I asked you if you want Ms. Colburgh to take the operation?”

I waited for Jack to answer, and he seems to be thinking about it deeply because his answer was firm when he said it. “No. Let’s just wait for her to gain consciousness, and then we ask her if she wants to take the operation,” he said, and for the third time since I was confined, I was shocked.

“I see. Well, in that case Mr. Rayleigh, we will just wait for Mr. Colburgh to wake up. But do you mind if we ran some laboratory test about her condition, and assess how much the damage is already to her liver?” the doctor asked, and Jack answered with a tight yes. “Thank you, and you have to rest,” the doctor said before I heard the door open and close as he left.

“Jack,” an unfamiliar female voice said followed by Henry’s “bro”, and I wondered who that lady could be. “How is she?” Henry asked, and I felt Jack’s hand as he rubbed little circles on my arm. “She’s getting worse, but I could not decide about her condition,” Jack said, his voice hitching in every place, and I felt tears starting to pool on my eyes. I am causing Jack so much pain, and I don’t want him to suffer. “When we newly met each other, I discovered her condition, and I thought it was not yet that bad, considering that she only had one attack during those times that we’ve been together. But still, I could not help but wonder why she refused the doctor’s offer to have her operation, and I could not possibly let her have something that she does not want,” Jack continued, and I felt warm tears on my arm.

“Shh..” the lady said, momentarily distracting me from blaming myself with every pain that Jack was feeling. I wondered who she is again, and I could only barely contain myself from getting jealous; surely she must be one of the few people I’ve met at the house, but her voice sounds unfamiliar. “She’s going to be okay,” she assured Jack and I felt something inside me quiver.

“You love her so much,” she said again after a while, and it was not a question.

“Yes,” Jack answered and my heart swelled rapidly as I heard those words that answered her small observation. He loves me… so much… I am so lucky to have him, despite the pain that I was causing him, he still loves me.

I wanted to see the lady, and I put every ounce of my effort to opening my eyes. I heard movement as people gather round my bed, and I realized I must have moved visibly. I moved again, willing my eyes to open, and slowly, I saw lights enter the tiny fissure I have managed.

“She’s waking up,” Henry said, and I was grateful they can see that I am awake already. I asked softly for Jack and he answered with a gentle but firm grip on my arms as he said, “I’m here, baby.” I moved my head to the direction of his voice, and I felt his lips brushed softly my cheeks. Slowly, I opened my eyes, and was greeted with the sweetest gift I could ever dream of. I saw Jack’s eyes brimming with tears of love and adoration, and my tears welled as our hearts became one.