Chapter 1 Jack

Chapter 1

Jack

“She’s having a pulse sir! 50 bpm. 60 bpm. It’s becoming more stable, sir!”

“Attach the oxygen mask back. Monitor her vital signs. Team, we succeed!”

I have been sitting outside her room for more than two hours already, intermittently peeking inside for any sign that the lying, lifeless form that I love so much will come back to life.

I cannot believe that it has only been less than twenty-four hours since I was chatting with her happily, planning our future when she’ll be strong enough again.

I was taken aback when a hand pats me lightly on the shoulder, and I turned towards the owner.

“Sir, she’s back now”, the nurse smilingly informed me. “She’s getting more stable at the moment, and we will inform you immediately when it’s okay to enter her room.”

My voice was thick with emotion as I thanked the nurse and every member of the health team, and cried happily as I said my silent thank you to the Almighty.

I thought it’s already the end, that I will never have a chance to hold her ever again, but God heard my prayers and proved me so lucky that I’m his believer.

I entered the small, well-lighted room that is covered by machines ensuring additional life to whoever occupants as the nurse announced that it’s okay to see her now, and stopped after a few steps from her room’s door.

I was consumed with fear as I saw her slumped body; afraid that the slightest pressure of my fingers, or my sudden nearness will break her- make her condition worse.

I concentrated on her, observed each feature of her as I remembered how she was only a few months ago. Her skin has lost its cream complexion, looking translucent and stretched over her entire body. Her long brown hair distributed wildly around her sunken face. Her full lips that once held an unidentifiable control over my body is chapped and dry. I was saddened at the fact that it has only been months, not years, since this woman lying in front of me, has been travelling with me around the world. That it has not been too long since this fragile, pale woman has been the most vibrant of all around the universe.

Unconsciously, I went beside her bed, interlaced my fingers with her as tears began to trickle down my face.