Chapter 2 Hannah

Chapter 2

Hannah

I am dead. I know I have lived a happy life- better than what I have once imagined, but I am still not ready to leave. Besides, I thought heaven would be bright, peaceful and painless, but it’s the exact opposite of what I’m feeling and where I am now. My entire surrounding is pitch black. Every muscle of my body feels so battered and weak, my mind only barely hanging on because of my fear that once I let myself sleep, I will never lay awake. Tired, I sit down and think about Jack. My poor Jack… He is now consumed with so much grief, with no one else to sympathize him. I started crying, so much that I am gasping for air. I don’t want to leave him; not now that we’ve already decided to be together forever. Slowly, I feel something warm radiating from my side. I stop crying and strain my ears, trying to pick up the words as the voice gets louder.

“Hannah. Hannah darling, can you hear me? Hannah…”

I looked towards where the sound was coming from and saw a light from the distance. I went straight to the light, my only thoughts centered to Jack, and feeling warmer and more at peace with every step until I am, once again, consumed by the light.

I opened my eyes with a start, saw the perfect white low ceiling, and was rewarded by the sudden pain which was usually being felt when exposed to sudden light after being in the dark for so long.

“Oh goodness! Thank God you’ve finally waken!”

I turned my head, my neck slightly cricking by the sudden movement, from where I heard Jack’s voice, thick with overwhelming emotion, and saw his eyes brimming with tears and affection. He gently squeezed my hand as he said, “Welcome back, my love.”

I can feel tears prickling behind my eyelids as my love for him threatens to overflow, and so I gently squeezed his hand, swallowing the large lump on my throat. He kissed my forehead, and I closed my eyes, suddenly feeling exhausted. I felt it hard to open my eyes again, and so Jack said that I should sleep once more. This time I know I don’t have to be afraid anymore, so I allowed myself to be swept with lethargy. I thought about Jack as I felt myself slipping into unconsciousness, and I dreamed about how he and I met and fell in love with each other.