Chapter Fourteen ✔

Aubrey

The human eye can process upwards of 10 million colors. Bode's eyes as they stared at her between the dip in her thighs was one that had never been created before. Blue like an ice storm with a swirling dark abbess in the center. It was much like the eye of the storm during a hurricane. Aubrey clutched the sheets of her bed as his tongue darted out, savoring the taste of her slickness. The brunette threw her head back, relishing in his worship of her womanhood.

Suddenly he was gone causing Aubrey shoved up onto her hands in confusion, her body now mourning at the lack of his touch. When she pushed up onto her hands the room morphed around her. The walls were now old with light wood paneling, wallpaper made of tiny doves stretched on the top part of the wall. She was lying upon a wrought iron bed with peeling white paint, and the blanket under her was a patchwork quilt.

Aubrey recognized it immediately. She had often spent the night in this very room growing up. It was the small room at her Mimi and Poppy's house, the one that was now her own. Aubrey places her bare feet on the ground, still clothed in the ratty t-shirt and leggings she had gone to bed in.

When Aubrey walked to the bedroom door she felt as if she was a marionette on taunt strings. Her body felt stiff and cold, almost as if her joints weren't responding the way they should. The door swung open in front of her. Out of the corner of Aubrey's vision, she saw two small girls darted down the hallway, a chubby blonde boy following them. They were young, probably ranging from 6 to 9. They giggled as they rounded the corner. Aubrey found herself pulled to follow them by this unnatural force.

Aubrey reached the top of the stairs and stiffly headed down them. She ascended to the bottom when suddenly, Allen was there. Except, it wasn't him. He was paler than she had ever seen him before. Allen was a fan of surfing and skiing and anything even remotely outdoors. Allen's love for the outdoors meant his skin always had a beautiful bronze glow to it. Aubrey had joked once that he must be the Koso Indian and not her while holding their arms up together. She was so pale in comparison. Sure, it was her Grandmother that was full-blooded and not her, but genetics was a fickle thing.

"Allen?" Aubrey said, and it felt as if her mouth was full of cotton. It felt dry and hard to speak. Her voice sounded strange and garbled in her ears. Only then did she notice the loud high pitch squealing static noise. He blinked large black eyes up at her causing her heart to thump loudly in her chest. Even the whites of his eyes were overwhelmingly black. It was like looking into a well that led on into never-ending darkness.

"Don't go, Aubrey." He said. He sounded the same and Aubrey's stomach dropped to the floor. Oh, how she had missed the sound of him.

"Allen, I don't-"

"Don't. Go. Aubrey." Now his voice was clipped and venomous. The not-Allen-Allen took a step towards her. Suddenly he was gone, leaving no trace behind except for a faint smell of pine and smoke. Except...that wasn't what he smelled like to her. That was Bode's scent.

Aubrey wanted to retreat upstairs and into that room, but yet again like she was a marionette on strings, she felt herself being pulled down the stairs.

The moment her foot touched the outside porch everything changed again. It was late at night outside, the forest surrounding the clearing pitch black and terrifying. What lurked out there? Not anything good.

Aubrey realized then that now she was at her childhood home, except it wasn't in its former glory. The house looked condemned, mold, and mildew growing with moss on the rotting porch. The paint was chipped and the garden overtaking the walkway as it thrived. This is what life was without humans. Aubrey wasn't sure if this was how the house looked now. She had never gone to see it. She knew it lay abandoned after Bea had found her father. Aubrey had ever been brave enough to go back and look.