Casey Chpt. 1

It was snowing out, and to think it was only thanksgiving, damn. I was curled up in the love seat with three blankets and my computer already hard at work on my paper due Monday. My mom was in the kitchen with her boyfriend Scott and the twins who were running around with their trains. I was not going to tell my mother how to parent but if she would just get them to stop screaming.

“Aaron and Nate!” I shouted and they came screaming over, “Shut your mouths.” I spit they looked up wide eyed.

“Casey.” My mother frowned walking over Scott came with her since she was entwined in his arms, “Don’t yell at them like that.”

“I’m trying to work.” I pointed out, “They are making to much noise.”

“Well, maybe you should take a break, you have all week to work.” Scott offered, I glared at him showing him exactly what I thought of that idea. 

“Where is your brother?” My mom frowned looking around, Jake had disappeared up to his room the second Scott had arrived. I looked at her pointedly, he wasn’t hiding because he didn’t like Scott, he just knew he couldn’t fool him. He knew what bleary red eyes meant, even if my mother ignored it.

“He’s in his room.”

“I’ll go get him.” Scott offered kissing her temple as she turned back to the kitchen with the twins. I motioned Scott to come over. “Yes?”

“Let him be.” I told him, “He doesn’t want to talk.”

“No, I would suppose not. Just wants to smoke?” I looked at him. “I know, your mother told me.” I frowned, if she knew why wasn’t she stopping him like I had tried to do, “She doesn’t know how to deal, she’s been stealing it but he keeps putting it in new spots. He needs to stop though, I agree.”

“He’s just going to fight you.”

“Well, that’s what parents are for.” He told me sternly, “I’ll go talk to him.” I let him go, if it wasn’t a secret then he wouldn’t be surprised. 

The knock on the door surprised me but my mom went running and pulled Hale inside hugging him. I was about to get up when she pulled in another boy. He was lanky looking, and was looking at my mom as if she was crazy.

“Y’all get in here.” She pulled in another boy and a girl. She was pretty, she had dark brown hair that just flowed, the kind anyone would be jealous of. She was tall and slim and had a cute little scarf wrapped around her neck. I was jealous already, until I saw her hand was intwined with the boy she had walked in with. I saw him and looked away. His blue eyes sparkled brightly and I was intrigued. His hair hung, curling out at the ends running right above his eyes. The thought of wrapping my hands in it while he was kissing me ran through my mind. He was a big boy taller than my brother by a good three or four inches, but the deal sealer was when he took off his jacket, he was buff and you could tell even under his sweater.

“Casey when do I get a hug?” Hale called to me walking over.

“As soon as you come over here, I can’t get up I want to finish this paper.” I told him and he smirked. We were opposites, he was a procrastinator and I liked to get things done the moment they were handed out.

“Don’t you have the rest of the week off?” The buff boy asked as he hung his jacket where my mom had showed them.

“Some people actually do their work decently.” The lanky boy shot back laughing. Hale came over and hugged me.

“I missed you. How’s school?”

“Good.” I eyed up his friends who were now having difficulties with the closet. “I see you’ve made some very bright friends.” Hale smirked, “Mom’s got snacks out, go in the kitchen.”