Home

Ashley

        I jolt awake, and to my relief, my vision isn't a blur. Hallucinations about my past are normal, at least, to me. I never lose the fear, though, that when I wake up from one, my vision will be permamently blurred, or I'll be blind. But considering my hallucinations have happened for as long as I can remember, I think blurred vision is the least of my worries. 

        I'm still in the stuffy blue car that my social worker, Betty, is driving me in to drop me off at my new father's home. 

        It still seems a little weird that I'll actually have a home, let alone someone to call "father". I've always moved from orphanage to orphanage, and the occasional foster home. Betty told me I'll even have some siblings. Of course, they're not actually my siblings. I wish. Nonetheless, it would be nice to have someone who cared about me and wasn't just watching over me, waiting for someone to take me off their hands. 

        "Did you sleep well?" Betty eyed me in the review mirror, taking up a casual conversation.

        This happends a lot. Sometimes my hallucinations are calm, and people don't even notice. On the other hand, Betty has witnessed some of the more severe cases. I felt a guilty pang in my chest, but I didn't want to tell her I wasn't taking a nap.

        "Yeah, I needed it. I'm a little nervous." 

        I then realized I wasn't just a little nervous, my stomach was twisting and turning inside. Then the car julted to a stop as Betty gave me a sympathetic smile from the front seat.

        "We're here," she whispered as her eyes got a little watery.

        Betty is the one person I could partially trust. She was one person who was constantly in my life, and I woulod miss her. She was the closest thing I had to family, strange as it sounds.

        I opened the door and stepped out onto the freshly paved driveway. I looked up to the house; which was an large and elegant home with a winding path to the front door. I slowly walked up to the door, wondering if I should knock or just walk in. It technically was my house now. Luckily for me, Betty, with my one suitcase, came up from behind and rang the doorbell. I shot her a thank you smile. I had never really been in a situation quite like this; a home that was my own.

        A middle aged man with brown hair and sparkling blue eyes swung open the black door with a wide grin on his face.

        "Welcome home, Ashley!"