Clyde and Armageddon

I bolted for my room; mind frantic at Gramps insistence that I get out of the house, now. The whole idea of a transition freaked me out. My heart pounded, thinking of Prescott showing up at my house. I grabbed handfuls of clothes from each drawer, stuffing mismatched socks, day-old t-shirts, ripped shorts, hair ties, and a tube of Chap Stick all into my tattered pale-pink book bag. I tucked a finger down my shirt and fished out the Atlas coin from my bra. I stuffed the coin into a neon green sock, then stuffed the hidden treasure in the farthest corner of my book bag.

I stopped, making a split-second decision to cross the hall into Gramps bedroom. Rummaging through his bedside table, I saw the glint of his old gun underneath some long-forgotten bills. I tucked the pistol into the back of my shorts, the cold handle of the gun pressing into my back made me feel semi-secure.  If Prescott wanted me dead, I was going to give him a run for his money. A loaded gun and a few tricons would be more than enough to make his bad luck my winning edge.

Slinging my book bag over my shoulder, I made my way out to the living room where everyone waited for me.

“I’ll be back when I can,” I said, leaning down to give Gramps a brisk kiss across his forehead. “I’m sorry...I wish I could stay. Promise you’ll get better?”

“Don’t you worry ‘bout me. Get outta here, the sooner the better.” Gramps motioned towards the door, with a flick of his wrist.

“Ready?” Calvin asked. 

“Yeah,” I shifted, feeling the gun dig into my back, happy that no matter what happened, I wouldn’t be caught unprepared like last time. I would not be backed into a corner and beat up ever again. 

“Text me tonight. Okay?” Bree said, stepping forward. “I worry about you, especially now, knowing where you disappear off to...”

“Sure. You’ll swing by and check on him for me?” I asked, glancing over at Gramps who kept anxiously eying the window like Prescott would show up at any moment. I’d already felt like I’d lost him once, and couldn’t imagine it happening for real this time.

“Of course.”

“I don’t need no takin’ care of, ya hear? You’ll see me again. Now get goin.’” Gramps shot me a stern look that said, or else.

Bree muttered, “I’ll check on him.”

“Thanks.”

I wanted to say more, but I knew I’d just get caught up in long tearful goodbyes. Time wasn’t a luxury I could afford, so instead I left with a quick promise to be back as soon as I could. Gramps sorrowful look as I walked out the door, pressed into my memory.

“So,” I began, when Calvin and I were safely outside by his truck, “How do we, you know?” I motioned to my wire. Time wasn’t moving fast enough to get the thing off.

 “First, I gotta find that cage.” Calvin dropped down to his knees, hands and face pressed against the mixture of dirt and sand in our front yard, fishing underneath the porch for something out of sight. “I know I put it around here somewhere...”

“Um... why did you put a cage under my house?”

“’Cause we need what’s inside.”

Before I could ask what the hell he was talking about, he pulled out a small black wire cage. I took a step back when he swung the cage in front of me like a prize. Two fat white rats stared straight at me, their beady red eyes twitching, tiny pink noses wriggling in the air. Round white bellies pressed against the metal, little claws hanging onto the edges. Totally disgusting.