Activated

“You must take risks,” Lesley said, turning away from me. “They must be smart, well-calculated, moving us closer to our goal.”

We were alone in one of the bedrooms, a lamp in the corner the only source of light, walls bare save for an oil painting of a sailboat hanging above the twin bed and a small wooden desk. Prescott had asked her to prepare me to go back to Gramps, whatever that meant, and now she was toying with a box on the desk, unhinging a clasp.

I sat on the twin bed, rocking my legs back and forth, trying to see what she was digging for in the small box on the desk.

She turned around, her right hand in a tiny fist, holding something too small to be seen. Her kind demeanor a moment ago had changed in an instant, now all business, her eyes scanning my body, head tilted to the side, like she was trying to determine if I was up to the task.

“You understand what I’m saying, Kova?”

I nodded, still trying to figure out what she held in her hand.

 “Everything you do, everything you say, must be aimed at getting us closer to that coin. But under no circumstances can you create suspicion. It’s a tedious line you must walk. Which is why you can’t leave without this....” She held out her palm, a tiny flat disc, smaller than my fingernail, sat in the middle of her hand.

“What is that thing?”

“It’s a wire and GPS tracking system all in one. State of the art. You’ll be wearing it whenever you are away from us. This is your protection.”

“Isn’t that illegal... I mean... don’t you need a permit or license or something?” My mind raced, trying to stall for time, thinking of anyway not to leave with that wire on. The secrecy of my plan was crucial, I couldn’t have them spying on me.

“Legalities aren’t really what we’re worried about here. This is a necessity of the business. It will keep you safe. We will have live transmission going day and night. That’s my specialty. The technological side of things.” Her shoulders rolled back and she stood a little taller. “And, what’s really great about this little guy, is that if any one takes it off of you, we will know immediately. The GPS will send out your most recent coordinates and we will be there as soon as possible.”

“But... how can I wear it all the time? I mean... what about showering?” I lowered my voice, not wanting to think about their whole family listening in on my most intimate moments.

“No need to worry. This is waterproof. You’ll wear it day and night. Everyone in our family wears one. Like I said, when you are in this business you need to have one on at all times. It’s a matter of safety.” 

“What about sleeping though? I have to pin that to my clothes every time I change? What could possibly happen at night?” I raised an eyebrow, trying to reason with her that the wire didn’t need to be worn all the time.

“You would be surprised.” She paused, giving me a sad look, like my innocence was a weakness, and I decided not to push it. “Besides, you won’t even feel it. It’s worn directly on the skin. Tiny pins, smaller than the hairs on your head, anchor the wire directly to the skin.”

“That thing is going into my skin?” My stomach lurched at the thought. She had to be mad. Surely there was another way than inserting wires into my skin, like I was a pincushion. What ever happened to the wires that wrapped around ankles? Like the ones people wore under house arrest?

“No need to worry. There is no pain and you won’t even know it is there. It must be anchored to you though, that is how we know if it is forcibly removed.”