Drop Off

“Are you guys done yet?” Calvin called from the living room.

“C’mon,” Lesley swung open the door and ushered me out. “It’s time to get you back.”

Prescott was standing in the kitchen, watching as we walked out. “And Calvin, remember what we talked about.” The comment sounded more like a warning than a gentle reminder.

Calvin gave a small nod in Prescott’s direction, his keys jingling as he dug for them in his pocket. “Whenever you’re ready,” he said, pulling the keys out, and flashing a smile. Why did his smile have to be so charming? He’s your enemy, I reminded myself. Do not trust him or his stupid charming grin.

“Yeah, I’m ready.”

Prescott’s stepped forward, looking at me, once again like I was some specimen under a microscope. “Remember, under no circumstances can you let anyone know you were with us. It would create suspicion, given that we worked with your parents. Understood?”

“Got it.”

Calvin walked towards the door, and I quickly followed, hoping to be outside before they came to their senses and changed their minds, deciding to keep me there. After all, the whole thing struck me as easy, too easy maybe, as I saw the door swing open, the fresh, cool air hitting my face. What did it take but a few carefully crafted lies, a pull on their heartstrings about my parents, and bam, I was out of there.

Well, almost out of there. 

“And Kova,” Prescott said, my heart starting to sink. “Be careful.”

Turning over my shoulder, I gave him a weak smile. “I will be.” Then, I took a step outside, warm sunlight falling around me, the fresh breeze blowing back my hair, the rich earthy smell of the nearby forest greeting me, all of it feeling like freedom sinking into my skin.

My momentary giddiness at finally being out of that small, cramped house, a cabin now looking back, was quickly replaced with the harsh reality of the situation. My freedom had a price---My every word was being recorded, my location, my conversations. My prison cell had just expanded but I was still under their watchful eye, being studied, like some wild animal.

God, had I tricked them or had they tricked me? My mind spun, the little wire on my side a constant reminder that I was never alone. Was it possible that they had just played me?

Calvin and I walked in silence to his truck, the gravel crunching under our feet the only sound besides a blackbird cawing from a nearby tree. Glancing around, we were in the mountains, tucked away, no other houses in sight, the perfect place to hide a kidnapped girl. It was just the type of place you would take someone if you didn’t want anyone to hear their screams. I sighed, happy that at least my thoughts were my own.

Climbing in the cab of the truck, I realized my arms and shoulders were still pretty sore. The beating from just last night, seemed like it was ages ago, but the marks were still blooming various shades of black and blue across my body. I’d have a hard time explaining that one to Gramps, but I guess I didn’t really have a choice.

“So, you have your very own wire now?” Calvin asked, turning the key in the ignition.

Thankful to have the silence broken, I patted my side. “Right here.”

“Lucky you,” he said, sarcasm etched across his face.

“Well, you have one too. Don’t you?”

“Yeah,” he gave a soft snort.

“Where do you keep yours?”

“Where the sun don’t shine,” he said, matter-of-factly. “Most of the time anyway.” He turned and gave me a wink.