Smoothies

It is hot here. Hot and bloody humid. I go out at 5:30 in the morning and am sweating in 20 minutes. Being from northern climes, I do not handle "hot" very well so my breakfasts have been lovely cold smoothies. Made right, smoothies are yummy delivery system of nutrients at any time. Breakfast, an afternoon snack. You can make small ones for the kids as a treat.

And what is great about making them yourself rather than going to vendors like Jamba Juice or Tropical Smoothie Cafe is that you will not pay five or six dollars for half a cup of ice.

Mango Berry - Made correctly, this tastes like a orange berry dreamcicle.

- 1/2 cup (or so) or 6 oz. (one of the individual serving cups) of vanilla low / non fat yogurt

- 1/3 cup frozen mango chunks. You can buy bags of frozen mango, but it is much less expensive buy fresh mango, peel and cut them into chunks, and use an ice-cube tray to freeze them yourself.

- 1 cup (or more) or frozen raspberries or your favorite frozen berry blend. I will say that straight frozen strawberries are rather week in flavor.

If you have one of those individual shake makers, the glass/jar/cup should be filled to the top by now.

- 3/4 to 1 cup O.J. Enough to fill in the spaces. Cut this with a 1/4 cup of milk for a creamier flavor.

Blend.

Yum!

If you prefer a more tropical flavor, replace the mango with banana and pineapple chunks, or banana and replace half the O.J. with pineapple juice.