Lime Tart

Lime Tart

I'm not kidding when I say this is a tart tart, but I likes 'em that way. You can also make this a key lime tart, but be sure to reduce the lime juice a little and up the sugar a bit, as they are even more tart.

Pie shell:

-          6 to 7 tbsp of cold butter

-          1 1/3 cups of white flour

-          Salt (just a pinch)

-          1/4  tsp vanilla extract

-          1/4  cup sugar

-          Cold water

With pasty cutter, mix/cut butter into flour. Mix in the rest of the ingredients with enough cold water to bind it together but not make it sticky. It should be a bit crumbly, but you can press it into shapes.

Press into 9 inch pie shell and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.

Filling:

-         3/4 cup fresh lime juice.

-          5 tbsp of butter

-         1/2 cup (heaping) of sugar

-          5 eggs plus 1 egg yolk

-         1/4  tsp vanilla

Whip eggs and egg yolk in a separate bowl. Mix lime juice, sugar, and butter together in saucepan over low to low/medium heat *just* until the butter melts.  (Do not let the mixture get too hot, or the egg will poach as soon as it hits it.) Pour the egg mixture in a thin steady stream into the lime mixture, whisking the entire time.  Continue to stir over low heat until the mixture just starts to thicken into custard. Do not let it become fully set in the pan. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.

Pour into pie shell and bake for 30 minutes (or until the custard sets)  at 350 degrees.

Cool, then chill in refrigerator a couple hours. Top with fresh sweetened whipped cream (you will need it) and decorative lime slices.