Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Harry had let himself Alex, and Hermione into the tunnel leading to the Chamber of Secrets. Now the three of them were behind a column. In the flickering of candles up ahead, they could see a shadowed Ron standing, knife in hand, over an altar with what looked like a body on it.

"It's alright." Hermione whispered. "He can't have done anything yet. Nothing is happening."

Sure enough, the body stirred very slightly. Harry let out a sigh of relief, and stepped out from behind the column.

"Ron... it's not too late. Please, put the knife down. We can talk about things."

"What's there to talk about Harry?" yelled Ron. "I know you've got it in for me-you and your bloody Harem."

Harry restrained himself from rolling his eyes. This was dead serious.

"Alright... whatever! I get it. You don't have to be my friend anymore. But what you're about to do doesn't have anything to do with me right now. You know it. Put the knife down Ron."

"Whaddya mean 'nothing to do with you?'" Ron said harshly, "It's got everything to do with you. If you and your bloody girlfriends weren't trying to do me in, I wouldn't need a bloody demon would I?"

"What? Are you serious? Where did you get the idea we wanted to snuff you?" Asked a flabbergasted Harry.

"You can't fool me Harry. Don't think I can't see through you and your girlfriends. And that includes Ginny... thought she could fool me into pretending you'd dumped her. What a joke. You're having orgies in your private chambers with the lot of them, aren't you? You've probably got Cho and Luna in there too." Bellowed Ron.

Behind the column, Alex and Hermione watched the jaw-dropping scene unfold.

"Is he serious?" Alex asked in a whisper.

"No, he's insane..." replied Hermione groaning. She went silent as the drama continued.

"Are you..." Harry had been about say 'are you barking mad' but thought better of it. "Ron, just put the knife down. You don't need to do this..."

"Don't tell me what I need Harry. I know what I need, and I'm about to get it. Now BACK OFF!" Ron roared. "If you try to get me, with or without magic, you'll trigger an immolation curse. You'll all be ash if you try to get any closer."

Harry stiffened. The immolation curse was in the same class as the Unforgivables. Anybody caught by the spell would spontaneously combust. Ron had been practicing hard with the Slytherins apparently. Harry had to stall Ron so Hermione could undo any curses which had been set to activate in their presence.

Hermione was thinking... Immolation Curse. There had to be some way around it. Alex was tugging on Hermione's sleeve.

"I know what to do." Whispered Alex. "I've got my American Wand on me. Whatever spell he's using won't react to it."

"You're right Alex. I seriously doubt that Ron has adjusted the spell to account for other magical frequencies."

"Ummm... Yeah. Lets go with that." Alex said hastily, her eyes widening. Hermione gave Alex a little smile. Alex had just instinctively known-she hadn't stopped to think about 'magical frequencies' or adjusting spells. Alex just knew that her American wand would work, and that's all she had to know.

"I love you Alex. You're so much like Harry sometimes!"

"Yeah... I love you too Hermione. But focus... we've got problems. I can use my wand, but what spell should I use to undo Ron's?"

"You're using your American wand, so you'll have to improvise. That's what you're best at anyway Alex."

Alex thought for a moment. She glanced at Harry and Ron, who were still bantering about Ron's poor-me act. She rolled her eyes.

"Okay, when I take Ron's spell down, be prepared with a stunner Hermione." Alex said commandingly.

Alex created a little ball of energy in the palm of her hand with her wand. Then she blew on the energy ball. It shot out of her hand and then expanded rapidly to fill up the entire Chamber of Secrets.

Harry felt the tingle of magic and a breeze in his hair, and knew that Hermione had just undone Ron's spell. Good. Harry was sick of listening to Ron bellyaching about his hallucinations. Without a second thought he shot a stunning spell at Ron.

Ron was blown off his feet by the force of three stunning spells. His knife flew out of his hand and clattered to the floor. He was out like a light.

Max sat up on the altar and stretched, grinning. This was much better. That body-bind spell Ron had put on him was really awesome, but it had really cramped Max's muscles. The fact that Ron had been about to stab him with a knife didn't seem to phase him.

"MAX! It's you... Oh thank God you're alive Max!" Alex pounced on Max and hugged him.

"Why wouldn't I be alive?" Max said with a perfectly straight face. "I had him right where I wanted him. I was just about to take him down when you arrived."

"You idiot." Alex laughed and shoved her brother off the altar and onto the floor. Max just sat there and grinned at her.