Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ron felt really good on the way back to the Gryffindor common room. Things had gone much better with Derek than he could have possibly imagined-better than with Lavender really (it had been Ron and Lavender's first time, and it had been a very awkward experience). Which reminded Ron that he was basically using Derek for the same purpose he had used Lavender for. But rational thought was quickly swallowed up by more delusions.

Why not? Thought Ron. Derek seemed to be enjoying himself. Derek was the one that had asked Ron if he wanted to do it with him. Derek had been the one who wanted to sit next to him on the train. Ron conveniently forgot that he had drawn Derek in by using him as a foil to vent his feelings. Ron forgot how he had wormed his way in with the Slytherins to chat up Derek. And he forgot how little more than an hour ago, he had agreed to "do it" with Derek mostly to get back at Hermione, and Alex... and Ginny too for that matter. But Ron hadn't actually expected it to feel this good.

Everybody was still in class, and wouldn't know that Ron was out of the infirmary yet. He had time to slip up to his dormitory and grab some of his things. He was tired of this bloody House and all of its two-faced hypocritical champions. He would find a place somewhere else in the castle to bunk down. Someplace private where he could be with Derek.

Draco was worried about his cousin Derek. He really seemed to like Weaselby. But Derek was the nicest kid to ever come out of a Slytherin household. Draco couldn't fathom how Derek had even been sorted into Slytherin. Now that Draco could see clearly for the first time in his life, he knew he couldn't let Derek be treated badly by Weaselby-and he could see how much Ron had changed for the worst.

He knew that talking to Derek was a horrible idea. Derek was a moody kid with issues... probably why he liked Weaselby Draco sneered to himself. Draco immediately felt bad for thinking like that. His cousin didn't deserve that, he just deserved someone better than Weaselby.

Draco hadn't intended to say anything about this to Hermione or Harry. He didn't see how this would affect them one way or the other at this point, and unless it did, then it was none of their business. But he hadn't seen Derek since early Friday afternoon. Draco went up to the top of the astronomy tower and encountered Harry in one of Harry's few moments of solitude.

"Oh.., I'm sorry Harry. Didn't mean to disturb you." And Draco made to go back down the stairs.

"Wait," said Harry, "It's okay. I've been meaning to ask you if you've seen Ron. Personally I don't care if I ever see him again-but you know Hermione, she worries about everybody. Which is good... I mean..."

"Yeah, I know what you mean Harry. Granger's got a heart of gold. And I'm not being sarcastic, it's just the truth. You've got a good thing going with her and Alex."

Harry was really clicking with Draco these days. He never would have thought it possible. Draco even called him Harry now, instead of Potter. Which was technically breaking with traditional courtesy of calling one's teacher 'Professor,' or 'Sir.' But Harry never held much stock for titles.

Harry had said so on the first day of class.

"Alright, calm down people... I know I'm famous and all that..." A few students chuckled in response, and the rest of the class quieted. "Okay, this is going to be awkward for some of us. I've been to school with most of you lot for 7 years," Harry grinned at Seamus, Luna, and Neville, who were all in the front row.

"And to those of you who have been around forever, most of you have been calling me Harry that whole time. And some of you have known me as 'Potter' for the last 7 years." He smirked a bit at Malfoy. "Anyway, I see no reason for that to change. If you've known me personally for years, call me whatever you've been calling me. It'll just be easier. I don't care if we've been enemies in the past or not. We're starting over fresh..."

"To the rest of you, if I don't know you personally, then 'Professor' or 'Sir' is probably more appropriate. I don't really care, but the Headmistress does. So we're going to do our best... alright?"

That had won over most of the students who hadn't been in Dumbledore's Army-even some Slytherins. Many of them had known Harry for years by either his first or last name.

Draco returned to the present.

"Erm... I haven't seen Weaselby," Draco started. Harry made no attempt to correct him. "But... but I'm looking for my cousin too. He didn't come back to our House last night." Harry stared at Draco, putting two and two together.

"So that means..."

"Yeah Harry. They've been hanging out together... and, well, I know my cousin likes boys better than girls. That's fine with me... but I'm worried about Weaselby. He's practically trying to join Slytherin and he's been talking about how wonderful it is to be Pure-Blood." Draco looked like he was going to be sick, but he continued.

"I heard about what Weaselby tried to do to your girlfriend Harry. That little git is a real bastard-and that's saying a lot coming from me." Draco gave Harry a wan smile. "Anyway... My cousin shouldn't even be in Slytherin-probably ought to be in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. He's smart, but he's too nice."

"I'm just afraid that if Ron loses it again, he'll hurt Derek like he tried to hurt your girlfriends. Anyway, it's probably good that you know now. If Ron's allowed to switch to Slytherin..."

"...Then he could be looking for ways to seek revenge, and possibly be manipulating your cousin into doing what Ron wants." Finished Harry. "Right then... Hermione, Alex and I will watch our backs and keep an eye out for your cousin." Harry looked at Draco gratefully. "Thanks for giving us a heads up Draco."

"Anytime Harry." Draco had an amusing thought. "Hey Harry, I was just thinking it would be hilarious if I joined Gryffindor if Weaselby actually gets into Slytherin." Draco began laughing and Harry joined in. That would be both hilarious and bitterly ironic thought Harry.

He remembered when Draco had tried to shake hands and had offered to help him make the "right sort" of friends, and Harry wondered what it would have been like if he had shaken Draco's hand then. And here Harry was with Draco today, finally ready to accept Draco's much more real offer of friendship.