Warmness On The Soul

"I'll never feel alone again with you by my side. You're the one and in you, I confide most." - Avenged Sevenfold

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

Zuko didn't bother knocking on her door, neither of them ever did. Aelita's back was to him as she sat in front of her meditation table, her hair damp on her shoulders and her dress casual. With each breath, the flames on the candles grew smaller, with her exhale larger. She had heard him of course but she didn't bother to stop. Zuko sat the tray of tea he was carrying on her nightstand and sat behind her, mirroring her position. Their breathing synchronized as he gathered his thoughts.

"I brought you some tea. That fire-breathing move was impressive." He finally said after some time, testing the waters between them.

"I thought I told you I didn't need you taking care of me anymore Prince Zuko." She said with calm malice she had perfected.

"I'm sorry." He sighed while she continued her breathing. "I shouldn't have reacted the way I did." And was sorry, genuinely sorry.

She was silent a moment before replying. As much as she hated fighting with him she refused to let her friend annihilate his way through the world.

"They would've died if I hadn't been there, Zuko. The little boy was too scared to move and the mother had gotten hurt in the crossfire. They would've died because of us."

Aelita's words hit him like a ton of bricks. Sure, he would do anything to capture the Avatar but he never wanted anyone to die. He wasn't his father. He never would be.

"I'm sorry you felt hurt but I couldn't stand by and watch innocent people die for our battles." Aelita stood from her position on the ground, still not looking at him. He had to learn somehow. Zuko had so much potential to be so good and she didn't want him to throw it away.

"Aelita..." He pleaded softly as he stood after her.

"I don't know how I got them out of that house Zuko." She said quietly, hanging her head. The fire of the candles grew very dim. She hadn't had time to make sense of what happened in that hut. "The whole thing collapsed around us. I thought we were all dead." Zuko stepped behind her, taking one of her hands in his. Aelita flinched but she didn't shake him off. He hadn't known about any of this. "I honestly don't know how we made it out but we did. I remember the mother thanking me and the next thing I knew I was in your bed." She finally turned to look at him and he saw how drained she looked. "I wake up from some hellish nightmare to you literally on top of me, kissing me and then yelling at me. Sorry Zuko, but I'm a little damn confused." The fire of the candles grew in intensity again.

"I'm sorry. I say things I don't mean when I'm angry. It's not a good quality. " Zuko put his hand on her face, making her look at him. "I'm so used to seeing you so strong so it terrifies me anytime I think of you being hurt. I think my heart about stopped when I found you." He placed his other hand on her waist, pulling her closer to him and he was sure he heard her heart start beating faster. The fire behind them turned from orange to violet, the heat level rising.

"What does that mean for us?" She questioned, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm not sure, but I'd love to find out together." Zuko leaned his face close to hers, her breath warm on his lips. "And if you'll let me, I'd like to kiss you again."

With a small nod from Aelita, he did just that.

🌊 ⛰ 🔥 🌪

The days passed slowly and still, there was no sign of the Avatar and his friends. All Zuko had was the necklace he recognized as the waterbenders, having found it on a Fire Nation prison rig off the coast of the Earth Kingdom. Zuko and Aelita settled back into their normal routine, studying maps and training in the times they weren't crossing off potential territories to search. It was as if nothing had changed between them, and in some ways, it hadn't. Iroh was used to seeing the two spend all of their time together but it warmed his heart to see the two stand a little closer to one another and steal small touches when they thought no one was watching. They were good for each other. They deserved to be happy.