Water Wars

Leo pulled Nico underwater.

He grabbed Nico's ankles, and yanked with all of his strength. It was surprisingly easy, considering how light Nico actually was.

When Nico went under, his hand shot up and groped for the edge. When he finally got his hand on it, he started to pull himself up.

He must've been at a bad angle. And soon as he started to pull up, his hand slipped and back into the water he went. He flailed around, and Leo noticed his eyelids were tightly pulled together.

He also realized with a jolt that Nico was obviously not the best swimmer.

He quickly reached out for Nico's arm and pulled him closer to him, Nico's back to Leo's front.

Nico's head was above water, and he used to free hand to rub his eyes, kind of viciously. He was practically gasping for breath.

"Don't..." He gasped out as his breathing evened out. "Don't do that again."

Leo chuckled. "Never again, not after that."

Leo swam backwards slowly. He moved his hand from Nico's arm and, instead, put his arm under each of Nico's armpits, his arm stretching across the top of Nico's chest.

Leo's face became very warm when he noticed swimming like that made Nico float above him, his shoulders touching the top of Leo's chest, their heads very close to each other.

He was confused by his current hatred of the water for separating the rest of them by a couple of inches, and his urge to close that distance.

He shook his head slightly, and continued swimming toward the shallower end. He turned his head to the left so he couldn't see the hair on Nico's beautiful head–

Where did that thought come from? He asked himself.

He tried to forget it and stopped in the five foot zone.

"Can you stand here, or do I have to go even further?" he asked in a teasing tone. He could almost hear the growl escaping Nico's barely parted lips.

Nico's head fell back on Leo's shoulder. He felt his checks warm up again. He glanced at Nico.

Nico's eyes were closed, and...

Was it just Leo, or did Nico's face look more pink than usual?

"Go further."

Nico's voice pulled Leo out of his thoughts. Leo nodded, thankful for the distraction.

What was up with his thoughts lately?

He swam closer to the four-foot, about halfway between the four and the five.

"Is here good?" Leo asked. He saw Nico smirk slightly.

"Nah, I think you should go further. Maybe all around the pool?"

Leo laughed and gently shoved Nico away from him, resulting in a laugh from the latter.

Leo's laughs turned into a smile as he saw the smaller boy turn around. Nico was smiling, and he flipped the wet hair out of his face. When pieces were still dangling in front of his eyes, he gave up and lifted his hand to swipe them away.

Leo realized he was staring–with the same smile he had after he shoved Nico away.

He cleared his throat and looked to the chairs behind Nico.

He saw a movement out of the corner of his eye, and jumped when water came crashing down around him. He threw his arms up to protect his face out of habit, and he chuckled.