~Nine~

It's been three weeks since I had my nightmare about Fate. It's been reoccurring. I have had it about three times a week now, and it was beginning to freak me out.

Over these weeks, I've walked with Fate in the halls. I would walk with him for a few minutes before we had to go our separate ways. Mostly, it was just simple conversation. Other times we would walk in silence.

Silence suited Fate.

Some days we could talk about class, other times we would talk about nothing and it was... Comforting, to say the least. Talking to him never felt forced, and it wasn't weird that sometimes he answered and sometimes he didn't. I just washy fazed, and neither was he.

Fate was pretty observant. He noticed things that normal people would easily overlook, like how many times people wear the same color in the same week.

"You've worn purple twice this week, Evanine." He told me as we walked to our shared class. My books were against my chest as he made sure to take smaller steps for my sake.

It was true; I did wear purple twice this week.

Yes, it was odd of me to do so, but I did it for a reason.

Yes, Fate paid attention to what I wore and how many times I wore what I did each week, but I was more concerned about the fact that he wore the exact same thing every single day.

Jeans that were too short, a white t-shirt, his worn jacket that was two sizes too small and thinner than his shirt itself, and a pair of beaten black Converse.

I knew it was the same thing because his jeans had a small hole in the left knee that has never gone away, and I know it wasn't there on purpose for the sake of style. His jacket was sometimes damp when our shoulders touched as we walked.

Sometimes his hair was greasy to the point where it was obvious he hadn't showered the night before.

And occasionally, about once every two weeks, he would come to school reeking.

I never really noticed until I thought about it. I wanted to ask him about it, but I've learned that if I confront him about something, he will completely shut me out.

I needed to know if Fate was okay because obviously, my nightmare isn't going away. It's been driving me crazy, but I've been too scared to ask him about it because I didn't want to stop talking to him.

Being around Fate had become a routine I didn't want to give up. I have begun to have some sort of...feelings towards him.

And if he shuts me out, I will never get the chance to evaluate my feelings.

---

The last bell rang.

Finally.

It was Friday, which meant getting bulldozed on my way out of the parking lot. Instead of trying to make a run for it, I decided to wait for Fate at our usual spot - the library.

Something else had also developed in these past three weeks. After seeing Fate walk home in the rain, I made him promise to let me drive him home. At first, he disagreed.

I managed to convince him when I promised I would drop him off every single day at the beautiful house a block away from his actual home.

Fate made it very clear not to follow him home, and I was in no mood to ruin our friendship just because of my curiosity.

I was slowly running my hand across the books when I heard the door shut behind me. There Fate was, earlier than usual.

I normally had to wait around 10-15 minutes for some unknown reason before Fate was ready for me to drive him.

"Someone's early," I announced, turning to face him.

His green orbs danced over me before he simply shrugged in response.

We walked out to my car, the sunshine beating down on us. Even on days like this - hot weather accompanied by a clear, sunny sky - Fate never changed his wardrobe. He never took that shredded jacket, probably because it was so thin it wouldn't really make a difference.

We rode in silence for a few minutes before Fate silently reached over to the radio, switching the station in the process. Popular songs quietly filled the air around us.

Fate closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, inhaling deeply.

"So, have any weekend plans?" I questioned.

Every Friday I asked him this, and it was always the same response.

"No."

I didn't know if he was being truthful or not, but I never pressed. Because of my nightmares, a part of me didn't really want to know the answer.

"Sounds like you're living the dream." I joked, trying to make conversation.

Fate chuckled beside me and sighs. "You bet I am."

I laughed with him, glancing at him sideways as he clicks the seat back so he's laying down. I shook my head while I readjusted my grip on the steering wheel.

"You have a pretty smile," Fate said beside me. With wide eyes, I averted my gaze to him. His hood was over his head, only his bright green eyes and pearly white teeth visible.

I blushed at the compliment and looked back at the road. "Thank you."

I turned onto the street with the beautiful home and parked in my usual spot. Fate sighed as he unbuckled and opened the car door to get out. He shut the door, but froze and opened it again.

"And you have a kind heart. Thank you, Evie." He added before he shut the door once more and jogged off.

I sat there, my jaw dropped. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest as I replayed his words over and over again in my mind.

Evie.

I've never been called that before.

It was different.

But different suited Fate.

---

The end of another chapter! Woohoo!

Please VOTE and COMMENT, thank you!