~Four~

When I ran into the student conference room, everyone was chattering away, waiting for my arrival. Claire met me at the doorway gave me a look that clearly asked "Why were you late?!"

I bit on the inside of my cheek out of worry and rushed to the front of the room. There were roughly about fifty people in front of me in this crowded space.

This year, we were wanting to raise money for the school's technology. Last year we raised $10,000 for a new playground at our elementary school.

The teachers at the high school made it very clear that we needed some sort of upgrade.

"Okay, guys. Can I get your attention?" I called over everyone's conversations. I jumped up on an empty chair to see everyone.

We needed to get this figured out quickly because I only had thirty minutes to give my idea. Everyone quietened and have me their eyes.

"Alright. As you know, this year's goal is to upgrade the technology at our school. I had a certain idea I wanted to touch on. What if we raised enough money to purchase new PCs for the teachers? They're still using the same ones they used six years ago, no joke. I think it's about time we gave back to the educators. What do you think?" I finished, watching a hand fly up.

"Yes?"

"How are we going to make it happen? Wouldn't that be around fifteen thousand?" A fellow classmate of mine asked.

"Yes, that's why I wanted to run another idea past you guys regarding how we are going to  raise the money. I have thought about it for a while and I see no reasoning why we can't do it."

"What is it?"

"A carnival." I blurt. Everyone in the room immediately began to smile.

Before I could get another word in, they were already thinking of ideas about the events and the location. With a smile, I hopped off my chair and accidentally bumped into Claire.

She was grinning widely. "Your idea is a total success! The carnival is going to be so much fun!"

I smiled back confidently.

---

By the time the next bell rings, we had everything planned.

Everyone got into teams of five and took up a job; one team had concession stands: the second team had prizes; the third team will handle advertisements, making sure the entire school knew about the upcoming event; the fourth team was given the actual rides and things to do; the fifth team took up decorating, and lastly, there was mine and Claire's group - the group stuck with cleaning up afterwards.

As head of Student Council, I always took up the job no one wanted. It personally seemed unfair for me to have all the fun while someone cleaned up my mess.

Claire, being the amazing friend she was, always helped me and made sure I didn't do the dirty work on my own.

I knew this carnival was going to take a few weeks - we all did - but we were up for the challenge. I was ecstatic to see what the rest of my Student Council will come up with. Regardless of each of us thinking differently and seeing things the way no other person would, we almost always got along and in the end, I know the carnival will be gorgeous and exciting.

This wasn't going to be some boring carnival you had back in elementary school. You know, the one where there were suckers as a reward for shooting hoops.

This was going to be the best carnival Brooklyn High has ever witnessed.

---

Lunch came quickly, thankfully. I rushed into the cafeteria from my latest class. I was running so much that a bead of sweat actually rolled down my forehead as I got in line for my food. Once I got my tray and paid, I set sail for my table that consisted of only me and Claire.

Not that I was complaining. I preferred to keep my circle small. I wasn't the type of person that was close with a lot of people. I knew almost everyone in our grade, but I only really was ever close with Claire.

And no, no one had ruined anything for me to force me into keeping only Claire around.

I just felt better with no one else around but maybe her and one or two other people around. I didn't have a crazy ex-boyfriend who ruined my life, causing Ethan to be the overly-sweet and over-protective big brother he was.

No matter how much he didn't want to admit it, Ethan was a big teddy bear.

Claire and I always promised that no boy would get in the way of our sisterhood, therefore I stayed away from guys. Of course, there was the occasional attractive friend of Ethan's that would come around to the house. But unlike probably every other girl on the planet, I have never gotten butterflies for a guy.

Actually, Claire basically swoons at the sight of every single guy, so I guess there must be something in the water that makes them so attractive.

I've just never felt it.

That feeling of what girls describe as butterflies in their stomach that dissolve away when he holds their hand or kisses them. I've never in my life met someone who I feel physically drawn to, someone I can't stay away from and vice versa. Or someone who can smile and that alone will leave me weak in the knees.

I've never been in love before.

I have never been kissed, never been in love, or even held hands with someone.

Lucky me, right?

---

Falling in love is overrated... Or is it?;)

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please don't forget to VOTE AND COMMENT!

Mucho gracias

XOXO,
elizabeth-archer.