Chapter 2: Brilliant Observation Skills

EDITED :)

~

Lillian's POV

          "You're late."

           I grin mischievously. "Technically if I was in New York I would be two hours, fifty seven minutes annnddd," I eye the watch on my wrist "thirty six seconds early."

          The man's face doesn't twitch. "But you're not in New York, you're in Los Angeles."

          I click my tongue, teetering back and forth on the heels of my feet like a pendulum. "Brilliant observation skills, could not have done better myself."

          He scowls irritably, yet none the less clicks his fingers as a sign for his men to step forward. The sound is refined, quick and most likely intimidating to the average Joe. I'm not the average Joe though, am I?

          A bulky man adorned with sketchy clothing and tattoos painting over every inch of skin approaches me, grunting sourly as he carelessly tosses a large duffel bag at me. I catch it with ease, sliding the strap over my shoulder and not even persisting to the lengths of checking if the right amount is within the bag.

          The mob boss residing in front of me cocks a bemused and marginally surprised eyebrow. "You're not going to check if I've given you the right amount?"

          A smile graces my lips, yet it holds no warmth behind it. Two of his men shiver from the sudden temperature drop in the room; the lights flickering like a candle would from a strong gust of wind. The man in front of me remains stoic, but his eyes reveal an entire different story. He's shaken by what's occurring around him, his eyes darting back and forth with dilated pupils.

          If I strained, I could hear the idle chitter chatter from the floor below, the entire luxurious restaurant utterly oblivious and ignorant towards what's occurring above them. God dammit, now I'm hungry. A steak would be overly welcome at the current time. Now.... What was I doing? .... Oh, that's right! I was about to threaten and insult him. Nearly slipped my mind. Whoopsey.

          I blink at him. "I don't need to. You know who I am. That's all the reassurance I need. You knew what you were getting into the minute you dialled my number. Double crossing me would the dumbest thing you've done so far, and that bar has already been set pretty high." His eyes flash dangerously with tenacity at my words. Stubborn mule.

          He leans forward, his chair creaking and moaning as he does so. "Did you just insult me, Nightingale?"

          My eyes are unblinking as they pin down on him. "The observation skills continue. Truly a wonderful deduction there Sherlock. So how about, you observe me leaving," I point to him and myself as I speak "and make a deduction from that, kay?"

          I pivot on my heels, swaying with confidence as I almost skip from the room. As I near the door to exit, the click of a gun being taken off its safety resonates in my ears, an overdramatic exhale of breath surpassing my lips. I lean my head backwards in agitation, groaning loudly and spinning once more to face him and now five of his men stationed behind him.

          I scoff hurtfully. "Five men? Are you trying to insult me?"

          He smiles innocently. "Brilliant observation skills, could not have done better myself."

          My eyes glaze over in amusement. "Oh so you're a part time comedian! This keeps getting better and better! Did you know I am too? Okay, so, what do you call the security guards outside of Samsung?" The men all exchange looks, only a couple appearing entertained by the current series of events.