Thursday

Thursday morning Lauren woke up more irritable than ever. She had had such a nice evening in the park with Joey doing his homework that she still hadn't finished any of her own. The baby had kept her up all night too with his insistent crying and as she got dressed for another school day she couldn't help the permanent scowl on her face. The doorbell rang and she hurried down the stairs to let Joey in, Samson in one arm.

"Morning," he grinned, chipper as usual. She grunted a reply almost forcing Sam into his arms before racing back upstairs to finish her daily routine. She managed to scrape a hairbrush through her hair and tie it in a high pony before slipping a pair of socks on and sitting on the side of her bed to take a deep breath. Tonight was Joey's night with Sam, she could catch up on homework, maybe watch a bit of TV and certainly get an early night. She was so stressed she knew she had to take a few minutes for herself before she could head into school.

"Lo?" Joey called up the stairs and Lauren fought back tears of frustration.

"Yeah?"

"Is Sam's bottle up with you? He's hungry," She dropped her head into her hands trying not to let the situation overwhelm her.

"I'll be right down Joey," she called. Lauren squeezed her eyes shut tight and reminded herself that this was not Joey's fault so she should definitely not take it out on him. She stood up, grabbed Samson's bag and headed downstairs.

"So I was wondering," Joey was saying to Samson as she entered the hallway behind the lounge, "how you'd feel if I took your Mommy out on a date?" He was quiet for a minute and Lauren let herself smile. She felt bad for eavesdropping but she wanted to know what else he was going to say. "Oh you'd like that Sam? Good because I think we have something and I really, really like your Mom," Lauren could feel the stress and irritation slide from her body as she heard Joey speak to Samson. She couldn't believe he was interested in her too, this outcome had seemed so unlikely and yet here they were.

"You do?" Lauren asked unable to help herself from stepping into the lounge.

Joey whipped his head around to face her, turning red as he realised she'd heard what he'd said to Sam.

"Ah, you weren't supposed to hear that," he said, awkwardly staring at his lap.

"But you were going to ask me out, right?" She replied, taking a few steps closer to her fake family.

"Well, there was a plan yes," he affirmed, standing up from the couch and turning so he was facing her.

"And your plan involved asking me out?"

Joey laughed and rolled his eyes at her.

"Yes!"

"I'm just checking!" Lauren laughed too and practically bouncing on her toes she grinned happily up at him.

"Lo?" Joey took a small step toward her.

"Yes?" She answered copying him and stepping forward a tad.

"You don't look freaked out so I'm gonna ask you, are you free this evening?" Another step.

"For a date?" Lauren grinned cheekily.

"Yes, for a date, you and me, no Sam, just us," Joey replied, shaking his head at her incredulity.

"We can't just leave Sam," Lauren frowned, turning her head to the right to look at their baby safely strapped into his carrier.

"My Mom has said she'll babysit," Joey replied taking another step forward and reaching for her hands. He was in her personal space now but she was not complaining.