Chapter 1

That's a really, nice looking beige color.
Well to say the least.

I just woke up, and I am laying down on my bed, admiring the ceiling. 

I awoke to that horrid S.O.S. sound from my alarm clock which not to mention, terrifies me every time I hear it somewhere like on TV, or on the streets.
I thought alarm clocks were supposed to help me, not scar me for life.

"Jane, wake up! Your ride is going to be here in 2 hours!" I hear my mom exclaim from the corridor.

"I know mom, I'm up!" I try to yell, but my voice comes out like a dying fish instead.

Mornings.

Today, I'm supposed to leave for my trip to Connecticut for my new upcoming job that I now have. It's kind of weird, because it's the first time I'm going to be away from my mom for this amount of time; let alone to live by myself. But I guess I'm used to it on a psychological level.

My story isn't all the glamorous and...'normal' as I'd like it to be. I wish I could say that I grew up around barbie dolls and plastic-pretend heels and birthday parties. But I didn't. 
My father left us, my mom and I. I'm not even sure if my mom and my dad were married. Mom never told me. Whenever I'd bring up the topic, she would either change the subject or act like she didn't hear me and pick up where she left off.
She would sometimes even say "It doesn't matter. It's not important. He's gone. He's never coming back".
It kind of sucks not being able to know information about a parent when your other parent refuses to tell you it. 

But anyway, after that, my mom couldn't live in the house we used to live in, since she depended on him for everything. The food, the bills, even some of her clothes. After he left, we were thrown out of our house (after continuous non-payments) and lived on the streets and cars for a while. I went to public school, and I guess you could say I made friends. But little did they know that I was sleeping in cars and brushing my teeth in the neighborhood park's water fountain. It wasn't too bad though. My mom got a job at a diner when I was about 9, and we started sleeping in motels.
Much better than concrete and leather seats, if you ask me.

It was the same for about 5 years, and then I went to high school. Don't ask me how, or what happened in high school, because let me tell you one thing: it was horrible. All of it. During those four years, my mom decided to move out of the motels (since I couldn't concentrate with the horrible smoke smells and endless noise) and live with other people, in their apartments. This might come off as strange, but it's really simple. You live in a room, and you pay the person who lives in that apartment a small amount of rent. But the rooms sure were small, and me and my mom had to be squished into a twin bed at times.
Not fun.

So high school went by...nothing special. The usual teasing, Good-Will jokes, you know. I actually got accepted to most of the colleges I applied to, and got scholarships also, but that wasn't enough. They weren't full scholarships, and they said that I had to pay half of the tuition. And there was no way my mom could have afforded it. As much as I would've liked to go to college, it just wasn't reality. It wasn't possible, and there was nothing I could've done about it.

So I graduated, and as soon as I did, I started to look for jobs ASAP. And as I looked, mom managed to save money out of her job and some loans, and rented out a small one-bedroom apartment just on the outskirts of NYC. So I guess that's good. And I swear at that time, I had never seen my mom so happy like she was that day. Almost like an accomplishment. And it is! Before, she would cry every night and hold me close, whispering "I had failed you, my love. And I am terribly, terribly sorry for that."
And that would make me cry too. And after those nights, I promised myself that not only will I try to go out there and try to make my future promising, but also for my mother, who deeply deserves it.  
I was browsing online on a job seeker website and I came across this request, saying they needed a housekeeper to work for them, and do the following: