Chapter 8

Chapter 8

-November 14, 2009-

**Neil's POV**

"Neil?" Kimberly asks. I look over at Kimberly in her morning attire, sweats, an old t-shirt and her hair sloppily thrown up into bun.

"Hmm?"

"Is she still sleeping?"

"I think so. She was when I woke up 20 minutes ago." I say, after swallowing a mouthful of cereal.

"You better go up and check on her again. I know she was tired, but sleeping for 15 hours straight is pretty crazy."

"I will when I'm done." The room returns to silence as we both focus back on eating our cereal. After a few minutes, I finish my bowl and head to the sink to rinse it out. I set the bowl in the dishwasher before heading to the guest room down the hall.

I knock on the closed door, and after hearing nothing I push it open only to see an empty bed with the sheets strung to the floor. "Caroline?' I ask, beginning to panic. I rush to the side of the bed to see Caroline in a mess of sheets and blankets on the floor, sobbing. "Caroline? What happened? What hurts?" I ask as I bend down to the mess.

"Nothing! I'm fine!" She sobs.

"What's wrong?"

"I can't do it," she cries. "I wanted to get dressed, but I don't know where my clothes are. And I tried to get up to look for them, but I can't!"

I wrap my arms around her in a hug and lift her back up to the bed. "It's alright. I can help you until you figure it out. It'll be okay, I promise. I'll help you." My words seem to calm her a little bit. She lifts a hand up to her face to wipe away the tears.

"Okay," is all she says.

"Okay. So what outfit did you want to wear?" I ask, heading to one of the drawers. I'm about to open it when suddenly she shouts at me.

"Wait!"

I freeze, spinning back around to look at her. "What?"

"Can you get Kimberly? I think I'd be more.. comfortable if she helped instead."

Her words bring a stench of awkwardness into the room. I just nod and walk out of the room.

"She up?" Kimberly asks as I enter the kitchen again.

"Uhh Yeah. She needs you're help too." I say.

"Okay.. Why're you acting weird?"

"No reason." I say quickly.

Kimberly gives me a look that says 'I know there's more to it but I don't care enough to ask' and leaves the room.

I sit down on the living room couch and watch TV until I hear the sound of tires running against the wooden floor. I turn around to see Kimberly wheeling Caroline. "Alright, I'm going to go get myself dressed," says Kimberly.

As she leaves the room I turn to Caroline, "So are you hungry?"

"A little bit, Do you have any carrots?" She asks.

I laugh and give her a suggesting glance, "carrots?" She nods. "Alrighty then, carrots coming up."

"Oh, and do you have any sliced cheese?"

"Cheese? What do you need cheese for?" Cheese with carrots? That just sounds nasty.

"For my carrots." She states simply.

"Okay... I'll get some then." I rumble through the cabinets and pull out a plate. Then I go to the fridge for the carrots and cheese. I add some to the plate and slide it across the counter to Caroline.

The morning was pretty uneventful. Marie took Caroline to the doctors for her weekly visit after she finished eating. While she was gone Kimberly and I decided to go to the antique shop in town.

The little bell rings as Kimberly pushes the door open. "Hello Kimberly, Hello Neil!" Says Mary from behind the counter.

"Hello Mary! How have you been?" Kimberly asks, walking over to give her a hug.

"Good, good. And you?"

I smile at her and give her a quick hug before wandering off to look at things. I find myself flipping through the stand full of the postcard's that Kimberly always seems to drift to. My fingers catch on one, and I pull it out. A picture of the Eiffel Tower shining bright admits a star filled sky background. 'Greetings from Paris...'

I let my fingers slide over the outline of the tower, and a thought drifts to me. Where is Caroline from?

She's been quiet for the past weeks. She seems to be more comfortable around everyone, yet she has yet to say a word about herself. Sometimes Kimberly or I will try to coax more about her out, but despite our tries, Caroline keeps to herself. And it makes me wonder... What is her story? Someday, I'd like to find out.

**Caroline's POV**

"No, no I'll be fine! You don't need to come in," I try to convince Marie as I the doctor calls my name to bring me back to a room. I notice the on edge look, and quickly say "It'll just be a few minutes."

Marie's expression lightens, "okay. I'll wait here, but if you need me-"

"Thank You, Marie," I interject. She's such a sweetheart.

I wheel myself after the nurse. As soon as we reach the room and have entered, the nurse shuts the door behind her and smiles. "I'm Pamela. The Doctor will be here shortly." With that, she slips out the door, leaving me to ponder my own thoughts.

A wave of drowsiness falls over me, and I yawn so loudly that I scare myself. I haven't been getting much sleep lately. I usually just lie awake in bed with a million thoughts running through my head. And on the rare occasion that I actually do sleep, it's not long. The nightmares I have when I sleep keep my up every night. And the nightmare is always the same. My father yelling at me. I don't realize I'm crying until a wet tear lands on my shirt.

The door begins to push open and quickly wipe away the tears with my shirt sleeve. "Caroline! How are you?" The doctor asks as he enters the room.

"I'm fine, how are you?" I ask in return.

"Great." He says. "So, any pain, uncomfortability, anything out of the blue?"

"I'm not used to it at all, but there's no pain that's bothering me." I state.

"Are you having any trouble sleeping?"

"No," I lie. It's not something he could help anyway.

"Really?" He raises an eyebrow. "Now, do you want to tell me the truth?" He sits down on his rolley chair and looks my in the eyes.

"Yes." I squeek out.

"And I suppose this doesn't have to do with your legs?" He suggests.

I take a deep breath. "Sometimes, but most of the time. No." The doctor nods, as if he knew my exact answer. He must sense that I don't want to talk about it because he doesn't ask any further questions about it.

"So, here's what we'll do. I'll prescribe you some pills to help you sleep. Take one a day before you go to sleep along with your other medications. Alright?"

"Okay," I agree.

"If you're having any problems with anything, don't hesitate to call. I'll see you next week," says the doctor while rising from his chair.

He pushes my wheelchair back out into the Lobby. Marie thanks the doctor and soon enough we're back in the car. On the drive back to the Perry's house, Marie starts a mindless conversation that I pitch some answers for here and there, but my mind is wondering else where. I wonder if these sleeping pills will make the nightmares disappear.. I can only hope.

___

Author's note:

Heyyyyyy! I'm updating! Enjoy this fluff chapter, a new one is coming soon!!!!!!! Happy thanksgiving! -Jelloluver