Chapter 5 - Why , Harry , Why?

Harry sighed. For a millionth time, he ran his fingers through the still water of the pound near the waterfall , feeling the cold and wet touch drifting on his fingers. His bare feet flopped around sending a few drops on his shirt marking a wet spot on the grey material. He was sitting there half of his legs dunking in the water , admiring the scenery around him ; the luxurious green of palm trees and leaves mixed with the crystal clear of the waterfall slowly pouring on the pound. He laid himself on his back, his legs still soaked to the knee and exhaled deeply. He felt little twigs of grass tickling his neck and ears and his locks sprawled on the ground  around his head like a glorious ring . He was thinking.

In fact, He's been thinking for the past hour. 

He nibbled his lower lip , feeling his heart shrink in his chest with a familiar feeling of hurt clinging to it.

It was going to happen again.

Like It always happened. 

It would happen again like it happened with the others.

Harry knew.

Every time he got emotionally invested with someone , that person got snatched out of his hands by some sort of sorcery. The world just decided to take that away from him. Every fucking time Harry dared to care about someone , something in the universe seemed to decide that the young lad wasn't allowed to have those feelings and harshly stopped everything. It happened with his father that he loved dearly but then passed away after the car accident. It happened with his mother, who was still in a coma and plugged to a bunch of needles , deeply sleeping and probably never coming back. It happened with his sister, who disappeared from the face of the earth with a random guy and never called in again. It happened with his uncle , the last bit of family that he had , that came back for the simple reason of money and vanished to some exotic location. Hell,  it even happened with the cheap restaurant he worked at , that was probably closed by now. Every damn thing or person that Harry really cared about went away.

And , Harry was convinced, it was going to happen with Louis Tomlinson. He was too deeply invested with Louis now. And Harry wouldn't let something happen to him. He knew that bad luck knocked at the door of every person that Harry liked. And Harry liked Louis. Very much. The older boy got the best out of the curly one. They used to be polar opposites ; On one hand, Louis has a bouncy personality , always ready to try something new. On the other hand , Harry was a bit of a wallflower, never really interested in anything and wasting all his time alone, working at a restaurant.

Weirdly, when they met, it switched instantly. Harry brought up a new side of Louis - the shy and sensible one. In return, Louis brought the eccentric and cheeky side of Harry. The side that Harry had long forgot when all the drama shook up his life , the side that made him alive. He owed to Louis so much and the older boy didn't even know how much he changed Harry. And for that reason, he swore to himself to never get too attached to his new friend. Unfortunately, he did. 

But it wasn't too late. 

Harry knew that what he had decided at that moment , laying on the ground slowly being rocked with the sweet sound of the water pouring, was going to be hard and to hurt a lot. But , he thought, it was best for both of them. 

Harry decided to let Louis go and let him be happy. He didn't want his friend to go through a ton of crap , because Harry always got in  a ton of trouble. He wasn't going to ruin Louis' life.

It was going to be hard but he wasn't going to back down.

For Louis.

-*-

Zayn wasn't able to sleep. Too much thoughts were haunting his mind; How he could've avoided the plane crash. How they could've checked the weather. How he could've told Liam earlier , but no, he was too caught up checking out his hair. He felt disappointed in himself more than ever. Even though every passenger kept assuring them that it wasn't his and Liam's fault. That they '' couldn't prevent that kind of stuff. ''