Cats

Hometime was the best time. Work was stressful as hell today, watching a suspect shoot themselves in the neck isn't exactly the most relaxing thing to experience even if Gavin had seen it countless times before. He pulled up in his car, Nines sat beside him seemingly uploading today's data to the evidence files. His jacket was on his lap, leaving him in a black turtleneck and jeans.

That handsome fucker.

Gavin shook him gently to alert him they had arrived home and the android opened his eyes calmly. They both wordlessly climbed out. Gavin was secretly excited, this was his favourite part of the day.

Why, you ask?

The monent he opened the door, approximately 12 fluffy shapes leapt at him, purring in welcome and climbing up his already scruffy clothes. Nines closed the door and passed him, smiling softly after seeing how happy his partner seemed. But he also had a strong sense of curiosity. The great Gavin Reed, despised by his colleagues and known for being ruthlessly ambitious, was sat in his house petting cats.

"Detective... if you don't mind me asking. Why do you have so many cats?"

Gavin thought for a moment.

"I guess i take pity on them."
"Pity?"
"Yeah, they're all rescues. I find them on the streets myself," he smiled sadly, "poor guys have gone through the worst treatment."

Nines cocked his head curiously.
"This relates to how you name them?"

"Yeah. I name them after the situation i find them in. Thorn, Thicket and Bramble i found as a trio in a bramble bush," he gestured to three tabbys, one sat in his lap and the other two on his shoulders.
"This one's Train. I found her on a railway track. And Crunch too, poor guy was...."
Nines zoned out to his stories, focusing on the human's face. He was much happier than usual like this, sat against the wall with cats nudging at him, purring for attention. Gavin's face was slightly flushed with a light red while Nines' was blue. Well they say opposites attract.

The android sat with Gavin, giving the fluffy beans the fuss they seemed to demand so much and listening to the stories behind each one. There was River and Creek, the two tortoiseshells Gavin has found in a bag floating down the stream. The bramblebush trio, Train, Crunch, Glare and Stormy the siamese twins, Tyre and Engine.

"And how about this one?" Nines questioned, gesturing to the small silver tabby perched on Gavin's shoulder.
"That's Derek. He crept into my house at 2am and stole an entire raw chicken from the freezer then shit on the sofa."

Nines laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll make a mini book of Gavin getting all his cats just sayin