TWO

Alex's POV

The next day John took me to get some new clothes. He called the place the mall. It had many different places in one place. It confused me. We went into many different places and he made me try on many different clothes. We went into a place called American Eagle. John picks out a dark blue sweater, two shirts that basically looked the same and a pair of pants. He told me to go try them on. I put on the pants. They were black, tight and had rips in the knees. I put on the sweater. It was big but really soft. I go out and show John.

"I think I need a smaller sweater. Also, these pants are broken." Tell him. 

"That's how they're supposed to be. Try on the shirts." 

"If you say so," I go back into the room and change from the sweater to one of the shirts. 

"That's nice. What about the other one?" 

"Do I really have to try it on? It's basically the same as this one." 

"Okay fine. Change back into your original clothes and give me those to pay for them." We walk up to the area where you pay.

"You really don't need to buy clothes for me, John," I say. Which is true. I could have just cleaned the clothes he found me in and wore those all the time."

"Non-sense. You need some clothes." He pays. "Come on, let's go get some lunch." We head down to another area of the mall. This place had food. John told me to sit down at a table while he got food. 

"What is this?" I ask as he hands me a thing with long golden things in it.

"They're called French fries." I pick one up. They're hot. He hands me a drink. I take a sip.

"Ew. What is that? It makes my tongue feel weird." I say. John laughs at me. His laugh is very cute. "What?"

"Nothing. It's called soda." I took another sip. the more I drink it, the more I get used to the weird feeling. The fries cool down and I eat those. 

"Laurens!" Someone yells as they come towards John. Why did they call him Laurens? I thought his name was John. 

"What do you want Lee?" John, or Laurens, says to the other guy. I guess his name is Lee?

"Who's your boyfriend?" I go to say my name but then John says something.

"He's not my boyfriend." Wait, I'm not his friend?

"Whatever lame ass." Laurens looked mad when Lee said that.

"Don't call him that," I say. Lee got closer to me.

"Why not." 

"He looked mad when you said that. And being mad is a bad thing." 

"Laurens is your friend like two years old?" 

"No," I tell him. I show him my arm. "I'm 16. See, there are 16 dots." Lee laughed and left. 

"Alex, you shouldn't talk to assholes like Lee." 

"Is an asshole a bad person?" 

"Yes." 

"Hey Laurens, how come you said I wasn't your boyfriend?" 

"What? Because you're not." 

"Oh. I just figured because you were giving me a place to live and being friendly." 

"Oh, you mean like a friend. You are my friend."

"I'm confused." 

"A boyfriend is when you love them romantically. You kiss them and cuddle with them. A friend is when you love someone platonically. You hang out with them and laugh with them." 

"Oh." 

"Do you get it now?" 

"Sort of. It's okay though. I only sorta understand a lot of things." John laughs.

"why did you call me Laurens?" 

"I don't know. You say John but he said Laurens. I'm confused."

"Oh. Laurens because is my last name. Only adults and people that don't like me call me that. You can just call me John" 

"Okay." You can have more than one name? I don't ask. I fear that John is getting tired of me asking so many questions. He forces me into more stores.

"John!" A girl calls his name. She's very pretty. She has long black hair. She's wearing a blue dress. John goes up and hugs her. 

"Eliza! You're back! How was visiting Angelica in London?" John says to her. 

"London was great! Who is your friend?" 

"This is Alex." 

"Cool. I'm Eliza Schuyler." She holds out her hand. 

"Alex, you're supposed to shake her hand." I take her hand and shake it. She looks at John the same way the one guy looked a John yesterday. I think his name was Harry. They think  I'm...  

"You're insane." 

"No, I'm not." 

"Yes, you are." 

"You're crazy bud. Not normal. Dumb." 

I remembered something. I'm crazy. Crazy means mentally deranged. For some reason, I can understand these words and they describe me. Crazy. 

"Alex?" I hear John say. I look up at him. "Are you okay?" It seemed like Eliza had left. 

"John, I remembered something." 

"What! What did you remember?" 

"Not much. There was a man.  He called me crazy. I understood what crazy meant. It means like mentally deranged. Need to be in mental hospitals. I should be in one, shouldn't I. I need some help, John. I'm 16 and don't know what a cookie is." I feel water going down my face. I understood that too. I was crying.

"Hey. It's okay. You're not crazy and you don't belong in a mental hospital. We'll help you remember things. Me, Lafayette, Hercules. We'll help you." Hercules. That was his name. 

"And I have other friends too. Like Eliza. There's also Peggy, Samuel, Aaron and Maria." 

"I'm not going to remember anyone's names." 

"It's okay." He runs over to a little place in the middle of the mall. "Hey, let's get you a phone. You can talk to me when I'm not around. You can talk to our friends too. 

"Okay." He gets the phone. John forces me into a couple more places. He buys me a couple more shirts and some more pants. 

(a/n- If you think that "holy shit John is buying a shit ton of stuff for Alex, He's using his dad's money and his dad is loaded and doesn't care.)